buy now or wait?

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
4,122
3
BrisVegas, Australia
i was hoping someone could help me out. i've just started college and need to get an Apple. i'm seriously thinking about the PowerBook, but i'm going to use it for Photoshop and other stuff like LightWave and Maya.

would it be worth waiting for a faster PowerBook to be released or should i buy now?

also, does anyone use a PowerBook for this sort of stuff, and when doing 3D stuff is there a big difference between the 550 and 667MHZ? are the current PowerBooks ok rendering etc. or would i spend alot of time watching the clock?

any help would be appreciated!
 

tuccic

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2002
2
0
Buy or Wait

by the looks of things changes occur at expos for the most part anyway there is one coming up soon in Tokyo. I think you should focus on your current needs. Getting the 667 MHZ PowerBook G4 will provide good performance overall, but since you plan to do rendering I would recommend getting the fastest computer I can afford even to consider one of the towers with a 15 to 17 inch screen. Good Luck!!!:)
 

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,319
0
Chicago
Buy now.

Always buy now.

Face it, in a couple of months you'll be envious of the new Macs no matter what you bought or how long you waited. There are always new products right around the corner.

That said, wouldn't it have sucked to have bought an old iMac just before the new one came out? Ouch.

Matthew
 

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
239
0
London (or virtually here)
I can't see what you lose waiting a couple of weeks to see what happens in Tokyo.

If something new is released, get that, or get a great deal on a remaindered 667!

If nothing new comes out there, then maybe buy. Of course you never know: Apple's releases have become even more difficult to predict in the last year.

Personally, I might try to pick up a decent second-hand 500MHz rev.A (going for around $1200 on ebay right now, I think). In some ways (I understand) this is as good a machine as the 667, and possibly better for rendering, because of the better memory bandwidth. You could play with that for the time being, see if it does what you need, and then upgrade in a year when (who knows) the NEXT BIG THING has arrived...

Just my opinion.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Buy a 667Mhz PowerBook now, I dont expect new powerbooks to come out until the summer.
 

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
2,920
0
Santa Cruz Ca
If you're doing Photoshop.....

Wait or buy a tower. Buying within a month (either side) of an Expo is asking for heartache. I strongly recommend a Dual G4 tower and an iPod with an 19" Lacie CRT.

Good Luck.
 

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
79
0
get a tower now. i wouldn't use a powerbook for maya.

if you're set on a laptop though, at least wait until after tokyo this month. if no new powerbooks are released, wait another week or so, then buy. remember how the 1ghz tower was released shortly after MWSF of this year?

i seriously consider the possibility of an upgraded powerbook at tokyo. i think we'll see osx 10.2, 10gb iPod, and new powerbooks. that's just me though.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,849
0
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by cb911
speaking about the 500MHz Rev.A, does it have better memory bandwidth than the Rev.B?
well....Rev. A has PC100 RAM....Rev. B PC133 (only in the 667)

but if u have enough memory the thing will still scream! :p