Buy now out of fear, or wait to see what happens?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burning Radio, May 25, 2009.

  1. Burning Radio macrumors regular

    Apr 11, 2009
    Ok. I really want the 2.4 Macbook aluminum after WWDC developments, but now that I hear these rumors of a rebranding, I'm cautious to wait. Should I buy the 2.4 that I already love instead of waiting and seeing the same thing jump in price just because it's considered "Pro" OR should I wait and see what spec bumps/price drops come from WWDC?

    I just don't want to be screwed out of a MB I really like. :)
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    you're not likely to see price drops; Apple doesn't do that. any changes are likely to be minor speed bumps.
  3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

    Jul 24, 2008
    I don't think much will change other than speed bumps. If you can wait till after WWDC, you should. It's about time for a change in the line.
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You can play the waiting game forever. There will always be Apple rumors.

    So just because something new comes out, you'll like your MB less? That's stupid.
  5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Feb 12, 2008
    I would not be too afraid of not being able to get one of the current MB's that you love. I would wait (another week and a half) and see what Apple announces. If you like the new version then get one of those. If you prefer the current one there will be plenty out there.

    When the Unibody's were released I went to Best Buy about a month later and got the previous Generation MBP for $700 off the regular price. Three of my friends also got them. I am not saying to expect that, but it does happen. If it was just a little speed bump it would not have happened. This happened because it was a complete product overhaul. IF they rebrand the Unibody MB as Pro's it could happen again. Maybe not $700 though.
  6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Uh, what? The 24 inch iMac just came down in price $300. Previous iMac generations started at like $1300, where now they start at $1100.
    Price drops happen all the time.
  7. Shiner macrumors 6502

    Oct 1, 2007
    They happen but not all the time. Additionally, apple adjusted the prices to match going market value.
  8. DaveMBP macrumors newbie

    May 26, 2009
    The processor on the entry level MBP has been a 2.4 Ghz C2D for 15 straight months already!!! I thought the number of transistors was supposed to double every 24 months according to Moore. Personally I am not going to buy a pro computer at a luxury price when the processor is 15 months old.

    I have trouble seeing Apple wait much longer to update their pro line of laptop computers. Intel has cut prices on Penryn chips, so I think it is quite likely we are going to see an update near WWDC. My bet is the 2.66 chip becomes the entry level pro computer, 2.93 Mid level and 3.06 on the 17 incher.
  9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Ok, admittedly, price drops are not literally happening at all points in time, but Apple does drop prices. To suggest that this is never a possibility, as the person I quoted did, is completely untrue. In fact, it makes some sense that apple would drop laptop prices with their next revision, just as they did with the iMac 24--we are still in a recession.

    I don't know what your point is with market values- if the computer costs $300 less than it did the day before, it's still a better value, no matter what the reason.
  10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Nothing will happen to the laptops. Name ONE THING that could happen.
  11. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    What rumors of a "rebranding" are you hearing?
  12. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2009
    Buy online 3-4 days before WWDC and if something new comes out, just return. When you buy online the law (in most of Europe) lets you return within 14 days without stating the reason or anything. This applies only to online purchases and you probably shouldn't open the box or do anything if you want to do that.
  13. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2009
    I'm waiting to see what happens on WWDC and if there are no interesting changes to MBP (GPU updated to current NVIDIA lineup, that is GT130) or matte screen for 15" or nice speed bump; don't know yet what I'm looking for) then I'm getting Sony SR with Radeon HD4570 -> should kick Macbook's ass...
  14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

    Sep 22, 2006
    The old macbooks arent going to just vanish into thin air. Regardless of what happens you still have several weeks to get old models of things, usually at a discount.
  15. Burning Radio thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to wait the 2 weeks and see what happens. It's not that I'd not like my macbook as much, it's just I'd feel super salty if they came out with a better deal for my money a week after I bought my macbook. I would love to see a spec bump.....but then that means I need to wait until they become available. :( lol.

    Every rose has it's thorn I suppose.
  16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Jul 20, 2008
    CPU bump (133 MHz)
    GPU bump (depends on the 9400M successor)
    "Pro" rebranding :p

    If the MacBook goes up in price I would expect its specs to increase that much more too.

Share This Page