buy now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ukeman, May 13, 2012.

1. Ukeman macrumors member

sorry if i am not schooled up on the situation, but my 14 year old daughter has been promised the iphone for high school this year (august), her birthday also...
    my elder daughter has a 3g she doesn't use and will put her on in her plan to get a "family" rate ($80 for everything), but suggests she use the 3g until the 5 comes out soon...
    is that one of those "soon" soons? like with the experience of those waiting for the new iMac to be released? If so, that could be into next year imo.

The reason we promised at least a 4s, because of its camera being very good, plus being faster, (and "all kinds of stuff, Dad!), face-time etc. She is very talented with taking pictures and it could very well be part of her vocation. She's won some community awards for her photo's.

So i think it's going to be get the 4s now... or should i wait and use the 3g?
    any comments greatly appreciated.

2. matttye macrumors 601

iPhone 1st through to 4th gen were released in June. The iPhone 4S was released in October.

Apple has made no statement as to when the next iPhone will be released, but it's most likely to be either June or October of this year. Some people speculate that the only reason the iPhone 4S was delayed was because of the Japan disaster. If this is true, they may go back to the normal June release date this year.

It's your call.

3. drkryn macrumors member

The new iPhone will most likely be released within the next 5 or 6 months. Whether she can wait or will be satisfied with the 4s is up to you and her.

4. Demonface macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would just wait for the new iPhone . it would make more sense and it will be worth while.

5. roberthodgson macrumors regular

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Wait it out. The key is the IOS 6 beta software. Probably announced in June (next month). History has shown it takes Apple about 3 months to get software ready for new hardware.

I firmly believe we are looking at a September 2012 sixth gen iPhone release.

The iPhone 4S was ready for September released last year. The only think holding up the release was Siri was not ready (technically still a beta by apple).

Apple wants September because iPhone has replaced iPod as the premiere product and iPods traditionally were September launches for the longest time.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ask your daughter if she rather have her 4s in August or wait approximately 2 months Oct, to see what the next iPhone is! that way she is included in the decision.

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

it always boils down to whether you need it (or your daughter in this case) or not.

technology nowadays updates so fast that unless you are happy and capable of spending loads of money getting the newest gadgets available you'll be outdated soon anyway.

i had an iphone 4 and was saving to get the new iPhone but it was stolen a couple weeks ago and i just couldn't wait 6+ months. i had to buy a new phone now and if I'm going to spend the money i might as well buy something i like. so i got the 4s which i intend to keep for at least 2 more years bar catastrophe. I'm very happy with it.

so if the idea is to treat your daughter to an excellent phone camera and a solid phone overall id say go for the iPhone 4s. yes the new one will be better but so will the next one after that and so on. the point is she will definitely enjoy it.

10. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If you can do it, then by all means wait. If you simply cannot, simply get the 4S