Buy Powerbook 17" now or wait for G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by grabberslasher, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2002
    Hey guys/gals,
    I have a Titanium Powerbook 15 inch, 800Mhz, 512Mb Ram, Combo Drive, Airport, Gigabit Ethernet at the moment and I was wanting to buy a new powerbook.

    I have the money for a 17inch, 1.5GHz, 1Gb Ram, Superdrive, ATI 9700 Mobile (128Mb) but was wondering if I should buy this now (€2800) or wait another year for a Powerbook G5.

    The Powerbook G5 will be rev. A and probably filled with problems. And I would have to live with my current powerbook. On my current PB most of the paint has peeled off and the Combo drive is very erratic (can't burn CDs anymore, or read certain CDs). And my power adapter is at breaking stage (i'm on my fourth one) (stupid weak plastic/rubber).

    Can any of you recommend what I should do? If I bought a new PB now I could trade it in for the G5 at minimal cost. I'm certainly going to wait and see what is announced at WWDC first.
  2. netytan macrumors 6502


    May 23, 2004
    As you mentioned if you wait around for the G5's you'll be waiting for a long time - especially if like me you want to avoid Rev. A for obvious reasons.

    I'd get it now, you'll be very happy with it i'm sure :) and like you said, you can always trade it in for a G5 when they arive. One revision to your plan; i'd consider getting the high end 15" PowerBook since it has all the same features as the 17" and apart from looking better and being more portable you're not paying $100 an inch just for a little added screen size, which also results in less battery life.

    Have fun,

  3. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2002
    With the work I do, I need some more screen real estate.

    Maya, Shake, Final Cut Pro, DVDSP, Livetype, etc. aren't the best on 1280x854. I have to keep Exposé-ing to drag files from one to the other. Plus I watch a lot of DVDs on my machine and would definitely prefer a 17 inch.

    Money isn't really a problem for me as I have been saving up a long time. Plus the added "wow" factor of having a 17inch would make me feel special. :D

    I'm almost convinced on getting a new G4 now, but I'm going to wait 'till WWDC.
  4. netytan macrumors 6502


    May 23, 2004
    Sounds more like you want if for a desktop replacment more than a portable. Its all good though ;). Its a good idea to wait if you can, though dont expect to see anything on this front at WWDC; maybe a price drop but i dout it.

    Anyway take care,

  5. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I don't expect a G5 PB anytime soon (who does?)... but it isn't unreasonable to assume that Apple might bump the screen resolutions, meaning that the 15" might have something like, say, 1900x1200 or whatever, or that at least the 17" might move up to 1680x1050 or some such.

    That might be worth waiting a while for. PCs have had similar screens for years.
  6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    "A watched pot never boils." / "A watched mac never gets updated."

    Get the 17 inch powerbook... :)
  7. DJY macrumors 6502a


    Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I didn't wait!
    Grabbed my first Mac on Tues!

    Im' now the very proud owner of a 17" 1.5 GHz Powerbook with 1 GB RAM.

    A few things made me buy now...
    * so many thread / people / rumours - suggesting the G5's are some time off yet...
    * The fact that they put liquid cooling in the 2.5Ghz PowerMacs
    * My preference not to by Rev A.. whether it comes to cars, computers, or v.1 software.
    * EDUC warranty of 3yrs was about to end - so I thought buying before Jun 28 would save me AUD$598!

    For my uses - I believed the hype that the current Powerbook would more than take care of anything I wanted to be able to do...
    and so far - WOW!

    Why didn't I listen to my mates sooner!
    So far - very happy with it!

Share This Page