Buy T-mobile iPhone 8 through Apple or sim-free Apple phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blazinbell, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Blazinbell macrumors member

If I'm paying cash for the iPhone 8 through Apple should I buy the sim-free phone or the T-Mobile iphone8. Isn't it better to have sim-free since it can be used on any network.

Also is it worth is to use T-Mobile Jump? Or should I just pay cash?

2. gurase macrumors 6502

Depends on how much you care about having a launch day phone. Sim free is typically the most carrier flexible but is usually not released for a few weeks. You could also buy the Verizon model in store if you're willing to try that.

3. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

Can I buy the Verizon model from Apple and activate it on T-Mobile

4. gurase macrumors 6502

Yeah you can, but you won't be able to preorder it unless you have someone's Verizon account info. You'll have to buy it in store (not sure if you can reserve it either without account info).

5. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

6. gurase macrumors 6502

Most likely no. Like I said, it's usually released a few weeks after launch.

7. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

You really should wait until you see what kind of deals that T-Mobile has available before you buy. When the iPhone 7 and 7+ came out, T-Mobile had some very good deals available with pay off and bill credit. I would wait.

8. Wags macrumors 65816

Question is how Apple will use the Qualcomm and Intel modems. Last year would only sell specific carrier phone until sim free phones released much later.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I would always get the carrier-specific phone. Unless, does anyone know if its one chip that supports all carriers as far as all services? In the past I thought there were CDMA vs GSM phones?

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think this depends on what modem they put in all of them. If it's GSM only, you'll want to wait for SIM free.

Edit: Current setup up with AT&T and T-Mobile devices is that they only have GSM Intel modems. SIM free, Verizon, and Sprint got Qualcomm. So if the option is the same, best bet if paying outright is to get SIM free.

Edit 2: Unless if by chance you have T-Mobile and Apple included band 71 (Which I doubt) that is only on the T-Mobile model (Again, doubt they'd do that).

11. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Remember if you pay full price for the phone from t Mobile all you have to do is use the phone on network for 40 days and they will unlock it. I have unlocked three phones this way with no hassle. Sometimes they will do it before 40 days. Just depends on who you talk to. The last two times I got my unlock requests done via the chat feature on their phone app. The only issue may be which version of the new iPhone will be their version that supports the most radio frequencies. Currently the Verizon iPhone 7 or 7+ is the one to get. T Mobile and ATT only work on gsm networks. I guess we will know soon.

12. Wags macrumors 65816

The current Qualcomm modem/model supports all carries but will only sell to Verizon and Sprint.

The intel modem for AT&T/T-Mobile will not work with Verizon or Sprint.

I expect same scenario this time.

13. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

The sim free 7 and 7+ from Apple supports both GSM and CDMA.

14. gurase macrumors 6502

If you pay full price for the T-Mobile model from Apple if comes unlocked.

15. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Very true. For me it is easier to buy it through the carrier than at an Apple Store but you are correct.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

But if you ask for the one for T-Mobile unlocked, they might just give you an unlocked Intel modem that cannot work on any CDMA like Verizon, Sprint or their subsidiaries.

May as well ask for SIM free.

Hopefully their 7S/8/X whatever has the same modems across the board. I doubt they will though unless Intel has really made stride in one year.

17. gurase macrumors 6502

I know. I always wait for the SIM free for that reason. But it seems like most people would rather have a launch day phone even if it means getting a less than capable phone.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It looks like Intel is finally stepping up to the plate. But whether or not this modem gets into this years phone is anyone’s guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/appleins...se-of-intel-modems-for-iphone-8---report/amp/

19. Blazinbell thread starter macrumors member

So would I be better off buying a Verizon IPhone 8 from Apple even though I have T-Mobile if the T-Mobile doesn't have both cdma and gsm? Wouldn't I still be able to use it on T-Mobile and it will sell for more

I would rather get sim free phone but ppl are saying it usually isn't available for pre order right away. Is an unlocked Verizon just as good as sim free?

20. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat, using T-Mobile now on my unlocked AT&T 6S+, I'm also looking to get a Verizon model iPhone 8 from Apple Store. But I just learned you can only preorder one online through Apple with an active Verizon line. without one you can go into the store and buy one but can't preorder it online.

21. Wags macrumors 65816

Last year the Apple Store would not sell new models without a new activation or current carrier for that model. Had to wait until sim free models released.

22. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

When 6 was out a few years ago my oversea relative wanted me to buy a Verizon model 6+ for him. I went to Apple Store and hey didn't ask any question on my current carrier, they just handed a Verizon model to me no questions asked.

23. Shadowbech, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Shadowbech macrumors 601

Not too sure about this as they can sell you a specific model you were looking to get paying outright device only.

I always wait till the actual sim free model is out. When the new model is out I will walk to the Apple Store (it's literally right across the street from where I live) and play with the display model.

24. natwister2003 macrumors regular

I reserved a Verizon iPhone 7 Plus online two days after launch last year for in-store purchase, and I didn't have to give them any account information when I went to pick it up. I paid for the phone in full. I've been using a T-Mobile SIM since day 1.

25. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Looks like the iPhone 8 sim-free was available at launch. I wonder if they’ll do the same for the iPhone X?

0753FA49-9C54-4F78-9853-C0AB242049E3.png