Buy the 5 or wait for 5S/6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d3v1l.cr0, Jun 17, 2013.

1. d3v1l.cr0 macrumors member

So I'm having a dilemma. Should I buy the five or wait for the next one?

I got a 4S which I bought on launch day and it's working perfectly fine. The phone only has one flaw and that is the screen size. I got tired of it a long time ago.

But since it's mid-June already I'm assuming we are not far away from a new iPhone coming out? So what do you guys think I should do? Since I'm in Europe and my carrier doesn't offer the iPhone I have to get a factory unlocked one and those are pretty expensive but the good thing is I can get some money back from selling my 4S.

Not sure how much the price would drop for the 5 when the new one is announced? Also I'm not sure how much new features the new iPhone could offer that would interest me. I'm also a bit skeptic about the "S" since those always have battery issues so I'm kinda leaning towards buying the five instead of waiting.

Your thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you wait a year? That's the question, with the 5s coming out sometime this summer or fall, you'll be locked into a 2 year contact.

3. d3v1l.cr0 thread starter macrumors member

That's the thing. I can do whatever I want, no contract obligations.

4. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I think the buyers guide sums it up pretty well...
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone
    "Buy only if you need it."

The new phone will definitely have 802.11ac, but there will probably be other interesting updates as well.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Don't understand the battery issue remark on the "S" models. "S" models are normally matured models of the previous release, and many of the issues are solved. Besides, a camera update is nice to have, a cpu update is also a good thing with the newest iOS 7 coming out.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Me either. There is no data to support that the S versions of iPhones have any more documented battery issues than any other model.

I'd wait for the 5S if you don't need a phone today. Sounds like you know something we don't about batteries so you may need to buy the 5 and then get the 6 later.

7. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

What's with the "S" having battery issues? My launch day 4s hasn't had any battery issues until it got soaked in a storm in March. I'm hoping it holds up until launch day for the next phone.

Will :apple: replace the phone under my :apple:care + if I show up with a cracked screen with the water sensors triggered? ;)

8. d3v1l.cr0 thread starter macrumors member

The comment I made on batteries was based purely on what I've read through the years online about what people said, that's all. I never had an iPhone 4, the 4S is my first ever iPhone so I can't really compare the battery life between the two. I am fairly satisfied with my 4S battery life, but a large portion of people say the 4 had even better battery life so I'm just assuming based on that.

Either way, the bigger screen is something I really need. If only Apple announced the new features of the 5S/6 it would be a lot easier to make a decision at this point. I'm almost certain we are getting a improved camera + 60fps video capture and bigger storage. Those features are something I would wait for but then again the newer phone would probably cost a extra $300 for me.

9. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The extra .5 inches on the iPhone 5 is certainly welcome but it still isn't a huge jump. I like the aspect ratio better though. We're probably not gonna be seeing another iPhone until at least September if you can wait until then. That being said the 5 is still a great phone, screen size aside.