Buy upcoming MacBooks on date of release or wait for reviews?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdhfootball, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

im debating whether to wait for some reviews on the MacBooks coming in September or buy it the day it comes out. Ive been waiting forever for the macbook line to refresh.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

IT's a personal choice. I could have gotten my iMac the day it was released, but I waited a few months until black friday and got like $200 off of it. If I can talk my parents into getting my christmas present early this year (again:D) I'll be first inline at the :apple: store to get the new MBP's, but personally I don't care about reviews on macs, the editors alway bitch about the same things (underpowered graphics, no flash card reader, etc.). I wouldn't care if the MB/MBP/iMac/MP/MBA/Mini were the ugliest most underpowered computers ever made, I would still get one of them because they run OS X. And what are you going to get if they get bad reviews? A Dell:D?

Don

4. Shop macrumors member

Bad reviews/bug reports would just mean waiting for the bug fixes or buying a different model. It's not that far-fetched to be informed. ;)

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Buy it and use the warranty in your favor if there's problems. Also buy Applecare, just to be safe.

6. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Personally I'd wait a month or two. Most problems are fixed in that time and I've always regretted buying new technology on release myself.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple has not been so great on Rev. A products in recent history but I have bought Rev. A products 5 times and never a problem. YMMV.

8. coupdetat macrumors 6502

If Apple comes out with the mythical sub-13.3" notebook as rumored (again), I will buy the first day. I've heard the might have a 9" or 10" model, but then again there have been these rumors for the last 4 years.

If not, the only other factor that could pursuade me to buy a MacBook is if they improve battery life.

9. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

As I always recommend, buy AppleCare for that peice of mind. :)

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

piece or peace? :p

11. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

It's way more fun to buy it the day it's released.

12. Call Me Rocket macrumors newbie

haha, peace... and for "peice," remember "i before e, except after c"

sorry, had to do it.

13. brettinlj macrumors member

I'm usually more careful about these kinds of purchases, but I plan to buy it the first week it comes out. I need one for school and can't wait to have my first Mac. I'll rely on warranty, fixes, and Applecare in case there are any problems.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can wait, I'd wait for the new machines so you can buy the old ones and save a ton of cash.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am going to have to side with those who are saying wait. So wait (if you can of course) just to make sure that there are no major issues like screen color problems or anything of the sort, those major problems should arise within the first 2 weeks, and after then you should be okay to buy.

16. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    and to that Sir, I say amen!:D:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

17. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

18. telf22 macrumors regular

I will certainly be waiting. it seems that apple i getting worse and worse at releasing fine products. iPod Touch, iMac, and iPhone were 3 things i bought within the 1st week of their debut and i ad to return/exchange all of them.