Buy upcoming MacBooks on date of release or wait for reviews?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cdhfootball, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

im debating whether to wait for some reviews on the MacBooks coming in September or buy it the day it comes out. Ive been waiting forever for the macbook line to refresh. what do you think?

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Rev A. products will always have problems and kinks in them, so if you buy on the first day you might become a little bit of a test dummy since the problems with the design wouldn't have been documented yet.

Up to you though, Apple makes good products, a lot of people said that the first version Macbook Air was surprisingly ok.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

it's not like they don't do software updates...

Regardless of what happens, it's not like apple will completely overhaul the overhaul

I think it's the same whether it's now or later

4. CoolKen86 macrumors member

So what's better? buy the current version of the MBP or wait and get the Rev.A of the upcoming MBP? I am using XP right now and i want to switch already but i dont dont when is better to get it.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

wait, if you dont need it right away

6. CoolKen86 macrumors member

What are the kind of problem Rev A usually have? Also, are they usually fixed with updates?

7. pinktank macrumors 6502

Well there can be all kinds of problems, there is an equal chance that there'll be none, it's hard to tell since we have about 0 details

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Nothing wrong with Rev As but personally I prefer to wait to Rev B or C. Let them work out all the kinks and learn how to maximize the efficiency of the system like with the current penryns :)

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Agreed. Rev A products always had and will have problems. But I for one will definitely visit an Apple Store from the 14th day of my purchase:p

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Seeing as we know NOTHING about the next revision, and seeing as the current revision's GPU has a virtually 100% defect rate...

WAIT. ANYTHING is better than the GPU problems we're about to start experiencing.

And we might just get a new GPU that isn't a year old.

11. emaja macrumors 68000

You guys crack me up with your generalizations. Mac Rumors and the Apple support forums are crammed with people asking questions because they have problems, so of course it is going to look bad for Apple. Few people post to brag about how great their Macs are.

There are many posts from people having issue with their Rev B and C machines, so by your logic, we should avoid them as well.

Almost every Apple product (with the exception of the iPhone) I have purchased - G5 iMac, several iPods, MacBook and MacBook Pro, Apple TV - have been Rev A's. Want to guess how many problems I have had? None. No a one.

While my sample size is small, if I were to tell everyone that Apple products have zero defects, I would be making the same generalization as you.

My advice - buy one if you need one. You will have a one year warranty and the option to extend that out to three years with AppleCare.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I agree with you that rev. A's have no more problems than later models, but my quote does not fit in with your argument. nVidia has not admitted the failure, but they have set aside $200,000,000 to fix any potential problems. The MacBook Pro GPU falls into the set that is supposedly broken. I e-mailed Steve Jobs and he said that the current GPUs are fine (you can see this e-mail in a few other threads). For some reason, I don't believe him.

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

100% defect rate? That's a very bold statement. My macbook pro is still running fine thank you! And so are many others I'm sure. I think if this issue was as big as problem as you say it is, Apple will make an announcement.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8600M GT or X1600?

15. emaja macrumors 68000

I have the 8600M GT chugging along just fine.

Your quote was included as an example of generalization. My MPB shows no signs of artifacts and has run 24/7 for over year. Could I claim that NONE were defective based on my experience? No.

Yes, nVidia has reported heat issues, but that doesn't mean all of them will fail. If ALL 8600M GT's were defective, then surely there would be riots in the streets from all the MBP users who shelled out $2000+ and had melting computers in their laps, sterilizing them from the heat that was scalding their testicles.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Who says that there still won't be?

And you just generalized that either all MacBook Pro users are male, or that... something I don't really want to think about... :p

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If it's an incremental upgrade, then you'll be fine. Otherwise, wait for people on this forum to buy if you're worried. There will undoubtedly be some sort of mass defect, lol. Seriously though, for the MacBook Air, except for the long charging times, everything was pretty smooth in general.

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i'll be waiting for about a week to see how its doing

19. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

Stave off your Immediate Gratification Demon and wait a couple weeks....

20. emaja macrumors 68000

OK, you got me there!

You are right that we do not know for certain, but that can be applied both ways - and I do not mean in the manner suggested by your second comment - LOL!

21. mchank macrumors regular

With Apple products lately, I don't think it really matters if you buy revision A or C; even with the latest Macbook Pros there are issues with poor build quality and light banding in the LED screens. You should just buy it when they come out and then later buy Applecare before the year is up if you have any repairs needed.

22. cdhfootball thread starter macrumors member

does rev mean revision? and also how long shopuld i wait, like 1-2 weeks?

23. Nieval macrumors 6502

You know, in many ways, the jump from plastic to aluminum won't be as bad as some may have suggested here. All Apple will really be doing is applying their macbook pro/air formula to the macbook and given how relatively smooth things have gone for them recently, i imagine this macbook to be the least troublesome Rev A we've seen in a long time.
    Personally, Im pulling the trigger on this one the sec it comes out...

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Months. Say... September 16th.