Buy Verizon iPhone then cancel after 14 days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeNZ, Sep 27, 2012.

1. JoeNZ macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm only in the US for 2 months, and looking at getting an iPhone 5 before I leave. I have a few questions which I can't seem to find answers for, so any help with the following would be greatly appreciated.

1. I know the Verizon iPhone is sold unlocked, but does this mean it can be activated with a foreign sim? e.g. factory restore in iTunes when I'm back home and activate with a local sim there.

2. What are the full costs involved with signing up to contract and cancelling? I know it will include 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, 350 etf, and I'm guessing $90 for the first month of service but did I miss anything?

3. I don't have a SSN, (applying for one now). Can I still sign up on a plan at an apple store?

Thanks guys, hopefully there will be a few people trying to do the same thing!

2. AuroraProject, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Just buy it outright from Apple, full retail price and unlocked. And you will need a SSN for the credit check.

3. serega macrumors regular

Seems to me about same money. Why not to pay full price and not to worry about any thing else

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Because you can't buy it outright at full price at the moment. Apple stores won't be selling those for another few months.

5. google macrumors regular

Yes you can, tell them you want to buy it outright without contract extension. I did two of them.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Assuming they even let you sign a contract your going to be looking at a significant deposit because you have no US credit history. You'll get it back upon payment of your ETF or they will likely let you use it to pay the ETF.

7. JoeNZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I would like to buy one outright without all the hassle of signing and ending contracts but the only thing is, won't the unlocked version from apple be the AT&T version? With the 4S they only sell the GSM variant unlocked. Back in my home country we have the A1429 GSM model, not the AT&T A1428 GSM.

8. as0016 macrumors regular

You can buy the verizon version outright full priced without a contract - I did so that I could keep unlimited data. Just get a device only purchase of the verizon phone. Hell you can probably even tell them you're buying it as a gift or something.

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Yes you can. I bought from apple store on launchday with AT&T. Not eligible for upgrade until march so bought full price with no impact on contract.

10. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

No kidding? The rep at my apple store in Vegas gave me that info. Stand corrected.

11. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Let me specify it was not unlocked. It was an AT&T phone but I bought full price activated my existing account on it with no change to contract.