Buyer of my iPhone legit? (Ebay auction)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by toffa813, Jun 23, 2010.

1. toffa813 macrumors regular

I recently put my iPhone 3G 16GB up for auction on Ebay and it sold for $160. At the time of auction it was partly broken, occasionally needing a restart and would tell me to connect to itunes. Since then however, it has broken almost entirely, and I have stopped bothering with trying to use it and I switched to using my brother'r razr until I can get my paws on an iPhone 4.
    However when I told the buyer that it had broken almost entirely, she replied that it was a gift for her fiance in Africa. I have received payment through Paypal however, but something just feels fishy. Here's the entire conversation thread:

Hello
    Am buying the item as a gift for my fiance. Just want to know if the item is in good condition before i will made the payment via paypal. Get back to me asap.

Thanks
    Mandy
    --------------------------
    Mandy,

When I put the iPhone up for sale it was working ok (admittedly,
    not great) but since then has reached a state where it is nearly
    completely unusable. Therefore, I cannot sell it to you in good
    conscience without telling you first. However, I have seen
    identical iPhones that are broken that went for this price or
    higher. So if you would like to continue with this, please let me
    know or I will not ship it. Sorry for the inconvenience; I should've
    taken down the listing before it ended.

-Chris
    ------------------------

Hello
    * Thanks for your response. I'll am buying the item as a gift for my fiance who is a missionary and is presently in Africa/Nigeria on a Missionary trip as a Surprise Birthday Gift and I want it shipped directly to him there. I am a Make-Up Artist by profession and i am presently away from home for work.

I am at a location where i am participating in a shooting that is why you can't send it to my home and that is the reason why i want you to ship it directly to him there. I have contacted USPS (post office) about postage cost to Africa by EXPRESS DELIVERY and I was told it's about $60. I will be making the payment for the item now by Paypal and i want you to ship the item as soon as you receive notification of my payment from paypal.

Thanks
    Mandy
    ----------------------
    Hello
    ** Just want to inform you that i have made the payment for your ebay item. Here is the shipping address.

*shipping address in Africa*

*Get back to me.

Thanks
    Mandy

Now the question is, do I ship it?

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

You are serious right ?

Is this the first time you have used the internet ?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah. unfortunately for you, buyer is using stolen credit card/paypal identity so they dont care what condition it is.

not sure what ebay's policy is exactly though and how it impacts you.

5. toffa813 thread starter macrumors regular

Figured as much.

I guess I'm just desperate for it to be legit so I can get monies for iPhone 4. Thanks

6. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Definitely a scam. Any time they say its for a 3rd world country, mostly africa, than its a scam. Also, its 99% always a scam when they say "your item".

7. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

Yank all of the money out of your Paypal and say you shipped it out. Maybe even give them some random tracking number and keep telling them its coming until the month is up and they can't file a claim. It is obviously a scam.

8. ethical macrumors 68000

Great plan. That'll teach the idiot who got his CC or PayPal details stolen! Maybe bump up the shipping costs to really rub it in.

9. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

I see you live up to your screen name. The guy who got his CC info lifted should be denying the charges with his CC company and unless he did something retarded like use a debit card online he should be fine.