Buyer wants to buy iPhone but is in Africa? Scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maverick1337, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have a question. I know I've read all the scams about people buying phones and shipping them to Africa and how it's a scam. How is it a scam if they are willing to pay me through PayPal? I mean I have the money and I ship it to them how would I get scammed? Do they contact PayPal saying they never received the item and get their money back? How does all this work? Thanks guys in advance.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My golden rule with eBay and PayPal is if you have any doubts about a deal, just walk away.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

1. They are smarter than you, or you wouldn't be here trying to rationalize shipping it off.

2. Since 1 is true, you will get screwed.

3. If you still want to do it. give the iPhone away, you will feel better.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know the ins and outs of how these scams work, but I wouldn't sell anything to a buyer in Africa. Just not worth the risk.

5. duky macrumors 6502

As everyone says, just do yourself a favor and ignore any requests like that. Don't waste time thinking about how it could work. If you are really desperate to sell lower the price and you'll sell it to someone legit and you'll at least have gotten something as opposed to losing your phone and having to deal with a whole bunch of Paypal headaches.

6. TheBigDuck macrumors newbie

if continent = "Africa" then scam

The PayPal scam works like this.

They pay you thru PayPal.

You ship.

They reverse the charges ("claim you never shipped, it was broken").

You fight PayPal and lose.

They keep the phone.

You are bitter and hate PayPal.

Have a nice weekend. Deal locally and sell it for CASH.

That is what I did.

7. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

There have been quite a few scams on ebay. Be vary wary of any offers/transactions from Africa. Do a google search and have a look. If you do proceed make sure the money is in the bank and funds are cleared before sending the item. Honestly my advice is stick to selling in your on continent as sometimes it is not worth the headache if anything goes wrong.

8. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Alright thanks guys. It's a def. no for this buyer since i have about 10 people locally that want it. Thanks again for all the help and saving me a lot of headache

9. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    craigslist = sell it in person for cash!!!
    plenty of people will buy it that are within 20 miles of you i bet......

10. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Definate no go, even if it is legit!!

11. Arkangil macrumors regular

I own a business that sells audio/video cables and such. I sell mostly wholesale to stores in my region and retail through my website. But I also have an eBay store.

I once received a very large and enticing order through eBay from a buying in South Africa. I had some email correspondance to arrange shipping, etc. It all seemed on the up and up.

Finally I did some Googles searches on the client, shipping address, etc. and found many, MANY people had been scammed sending product to that person or that location.

I did not proceed.

Google is your friend!

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Tell them to send a money order/cashiers check whatever. Also tell them
    you will wait 30 days to ensure good funds BEFORE shipping.

The response will answer your question. But I agree its not worth shipping overseas imo. Too many insurance/shipping hassles.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

or they pay for it with a stolen credit card number...

or they send a convincing but fake email from "PayPal" saying payment has been received and you must send the item immediately or face a penalty, so you run out and send it off only to find the payment notice was fake...

or....

14. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

This.

15. JajoPGH macrumors regular

Can someone help me with this? Someone is very interested in buying my MBP to the point where they sent money to my PayPal.

I feel reluctant to accept the payment because of one reason that has me saying hmmmm. He has 3 or 4 different addresses, one being a PO Box.

His feedback on eBay is good, though.

Just a couple weeks ago, someone sent me money through PayPal. An hour later, eBay told me it was a hacked account.

Sorry if this seems like a hijack, but the subject is pretty similar to the OP's. Perhaps it can help someone else also.

16. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

eBay feedback can be inflated and/or faked. Don't let that figure into your reasoning.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Anything from Africa is a scam.

The only way I would even accept mail from Africa (I would never send anything) is if it came from johannesburg, anything else and i'd be afraid if it was a bomb or something :p

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

if(continent = Africa)
    Console.WriteLine("Scam");

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Let me respond by asking you this: When have YOU ever been so incredibly interested in buying something used from someone else that you resort to throwing money at them unsolicited?

Exactly.

20. boston44 macrumors 6502

To sum up loose ends, it's a scam. You hear about the same things on craigslist everyday.

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

The best way to deal with it would be to tell the buyer you will release the iPhone to the buyer's agent if the agent will meet you in person and cough up cold hard cash on delivery and let the agent worry about shipping it to the buyer.

22. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

What's special about Johannesburg?

23. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Friend of mine was stupid enough to send his XBox360 to Nigeria via eBay. The guy sent him a fake PayPal email saying that he'd paid and my friend, like some kind of muppet believed him.

£50 shipping as well!!

24. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Africa is normally a scam.

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

One of the largest financial sectors in the region with a couple of companies headquartered there. I'm saying, if I'd HAD to receive something from Africa, it'd feel more comfortable to have it be from there i.e. semi traceable.