buyers guide say the macbook pro is reaching end of cycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevieapollo, Mar 22, 2009.

1. stevieapollo macrumors member

is this really possible? the 17 inch is finally starting to take less then 7-10 days to be shipped. the imacs were just released. they only get an update every 9 months or something like that..the macbook pro cant be more powerful then the top end imac. i think that these current configurations on the unibody will stay this way for another 6 months or more. any thoughts on this... i mean i just ordered my 17" 2.93 how is that going to be replaced? are they going to have a 3.06 macbook pro next? are we all going to be waiting for the mobile quad core before we see a macbook refresh? i think it is safe to buy a macbook pro right now!! especially if you upgrade the processor to the 2.93. does anybody feel like it will be replaced by a faster chipset or possible more sufficient architecture with slower clock speeds?

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

The buyers guide recommendations are based on the number of says since the last updated versus the average number of days between updates. It's just simple maths.

In reality it does seem unlikely the MBP will be updated soon. I would guess Q4 2009 or Q1 2010 once the Nehalem Intel chips are out. But if that's true, it's a very big gap between updates compared to historical updates.

Of course the 17" MBP was updated more recently than the 15" MBP, so they are slightly out of sync on the update side (arguably).

3. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Also, the 15" MacBook Pro was updated a couple of weeks ago.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

They will probably bump up the speeds from 2.66/2.93 to 2.8/3.06 at some point before they make the leap to the Nehalem platform. This is what they've always done. Tiny incremental speed boosts once every few months (of the kind that they could have done right from the beginning, as opposed to speed boosts resulting from technology breakthroughs), to dishearten everyone who bought a slower machine two weeks earlier.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I have the same question for the MB's... it looks like they'll bump the speed on the processors in ~2 months...would they do any other updates?

6. stevieapollo thread starter macrumors member

yes but my biggest statement is the imacs were just updated, and apple has never had there macbook pro faster or equivalent to the the top end imac. if they update the macbook pro before the imacs are updated they would have to reach speeds of 3.06 that is the next logical step from 2.93. and i know the imacs probably wont be updated until the quad core processors are released. and when that happens you will have the same problem with the bottom end mac pro maxing out at 8gb ram being the same speed as the quad core imacs. both desktops having 4 cores maxing out at 8gb ram. this just does not seem like a logical step for apple. i just really think that everything was recently updated and we wont see another update from apple for a good while!!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The other updates in these little incremental changes are typically things like bigger or faster hard drives, occasionally new GPU's, and occasionally more base RAM.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

who cares when we see an update. especially if its just a minor speed bump. its going to happen and after it does it will happen again. are you in the process of buying a computer? if you always wait for an update to by a computer than you will be waiting forever. just buy it now and in 3-4 years you will buy another one. in the words of the Beta Band "it will be alright"

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

I have to agree with this statement. No matter the computer line it's only "the latest and greatest" for one day, the day it comes out, then it's just another model on it's way out for the next upgrade. Waiting is a never ending cycle, you can't win, no matter when you buy a MBP there is another one, faster, better coming out soon.

As I was once told "everything you own now will be in someone's garage sale someday". Were all just buying new junk, because soon enough it will be just that. Junk.

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

There are two things on the horizon holding me back from buying an MB/MB Pro right now... sure, there are always advancements in technology and any computer you buy will be yesterday's news tomorrow... but once every couple of years or so there's a paradigm shift, and there are two of those on the horizon right now.

One is mobile 32nm Arrandale processors, obviously. Considerable gains in speed and energy efficiency. Will be out in Q4 of 2009 and will be the platform for 2-3 years.

The other is USB 3.0. The specs were completed in November last year, the ports will start appearing on computers in Q1 of 2010. Speeds up to 5 Gb/s. I do not want to be stuck with an expensive notebook with stinky old USB 2.0 ports until 2012... for a desktop I could get a USB 3.0 PCI Express card once they arrive, but you can't exactly upgrade the ports on a notebook.

True, but like I said, once every few years there's a major paradigm shift. It's one thing to buy a 2.4 GHz machine the day before the 2.6 GHz machine comes out, it's another to buy a G5 the day before Apple switches to Intel...

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im not just saying this because i just bought a new unibody MBP and want to make myself feel better but, i believe that aranndale while it will be a big deal will not make that much of a difference as to make me wish that i had waited. basically it wont make my computer obsolete just like the switch to intel did not make the G4 i had instantly useless. plus i can wait for them to work out all the kinks. i never buy the 1st prototype of anything anyway. im happy with the choice i made.

this is all opinion tho so whatever.

12. zorahk macrumors 6502

I don't think they will update them until the end of summer. They just speed bumped them two weeks ago, and unfortunately the buyer's guide is not taking this into account.