Buyer's Guide: Significant Discounts on New 17" MacBook Pros, Other Macs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Our affiliate partner MacMall is offering discounts across all of Apple's Macs this week. While this alone is not generally newsworthy, MacMall is also offering MacRumors readers an additional 3% off MacBook Pros in addition to the current sales prices. This discount applies to the just-released unibody 17" MacBook Pro as well as the existing 15" models.

The most significant combined discount brings the price of the entry level 15" MacBook Pro (unibody) down to $1742.99 (from $1999 retail). Meanwhile, the brand-new 17" MacBook Pro (unibody) can be had for $2610.18 (from $2799 retail).

Article Link: View Chart

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
No, you only can get an educational discount at the Apple Store, either retail or online.

If you're eligible for an educational discount, this deal isn't really attractive.
This one saves 25x.xx, isn't the edu discount for mbp 15s 200?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
No, you only can get an educational discount at the Apple Store, either retail or online. If you're eligible for an educational discount, this deal isn't really attractive.
Yup, I just purchased the MBP 2.5GHz 250GB w/printer for $.01 from SF State for $1522 OTD, and I couldn't find that model at MacMall. Though the new MBP 2.4 is listed at $1899 Apple Store EDU discount, w/o rebates $2066 OTD, seems attractive at the MacMall price (just a bunch of rebates for extras and a $100 mail-in rebate)...

(For some weird reason the EDU discount on the MBP (unibody) is only $100)

preservative

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere in pain
Yup, I just purchased the MBP 2.5GHz 250GB w/printer for $.01 from SF State for $1522 OTD, and I couldn't find that model at MacMall. Though the new MBP 2.4 is listed at $1899 Apple Store EDU discount, w/o rebates $2066 OTD, seems attractive at the MacMall price (just a bunch of rebates for extras and a $100 mail-in rebate)...

For some weird reason the EDU discount on the MBP (unibody) is only $100)
Your one rich student!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
Does anyone know if they charge tax when shipping to Kansas? I looked all over the website and couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks!
Bryan

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Interesting how a deal that saves people money gets voted down more than it is voted up. How lame. If you were in the market for a new Mac, and American, this would have been really relevant, and useful on a site related to Macs.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
Seriously, this site has about the least intrusive advertising I've ever seen. And while it's not a big deal to those who can get other discounts, there are lots of people who were considering paying full retail price for their new Mac today. Maybe they've saved a couple bucks now. And MacRumors gets to keep paying the bills. So where exactly is the problem here?

Some people just can't be satisfied. :rolleyes:

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
I think it's fair for Arn to put some advertising in like this, as long as it is clearly labelled, as it is here. It must take some work to keep this site going.

definitive

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2008
sig⋅nif⋅i⋅cant
   /sɪgˈnɪfɪkənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sig-nif-i-kuhnt] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. important; of consequence.
2. having or expressing a meaning; indicative; suggestive: a significant wink.
3. Statistics. of or pertaining to observations that are unlikely to occur by chance and that therefore indicate a systematic cause.
–noun
4. something significant; a sign.
how does a 3% discount apply to what's stated above? you still have to end up skipping a few months of food if you save $50-$100 on a mac.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
You might be wise to buy your computer stuff during this deflationary period, if you really need it. These "sales" are just the first taste of it.

The folks who saw the current fincial crisis coming say hyper-inflation is inevitable sometime in the next year or two when the trillions in bankster bail-out, state/municipal bail-out (coming soon) and government "stimulus" unearned, fiat currency floods the streets with increasingly worthless USD.

To name one example of someone who knows what's really happening, in my opinion, see Gerald Celente's comments in his Trends Forecaster Journal, on Google video, or download his appearances on the Rense or the Alex Jones radio shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.