Buyer's Guide Went From Neutral to Buy Only If You Need It.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tardman91, Nov 16, 2009.

  1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

    tardman91

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Tampa Area, FL
    #1
    As much as I wanted to get one for Christmas looks like I'll have to force myself to wait for the next update. I'd hate to spend $1400 on a computer only to have a new one released a month later. Bummer.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Apple has already stated that there will not be any new updates to its line in 2009, and given how things work, you'll not likely see anything in the early part of 2010, i.e., late january at the very earliest. The buyer's guide is only a guess/estimate. I would not rely solely on that information.

    If you need one now, get one now. Beside, when apple does update the MBP, it will probably be the arrandale/clarksfield chipset and while that's good news, do you really want to be a revision a release that changed so much. Makes more of a reason to get one now then wait.
     
  3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

    Sneakz

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #3
    Try telling that to the people with i5/i7 iMacs. I'm ready to order a new MBP as soon as the Apple Store is back up :)
     
  4. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

    Maskusee

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #4
    Yeah, i hear ya.
    I was going to grab one for a Christmas present to myself and my wife....
    Ohh well, patience is a virtue, not sure if it applies to electronics.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    That's a little different, in that apple has had the macpro's out with the nehalem processor but the point is the same, revision As can be a risky move and given the mobile nature and small enclosure of laptops the issues can be more acute.

    No it isn't because there will always be a better, fast leaner machine being readied for release. If you want/need one now, get one now. :D
     
  6. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tardman91

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Tampa Area, FL
    #6
    I'll be getting a 13" and from what I've been reading those are the least likely to see any major changes (albeit its all speculation anyway). So I'm thinking if I get the high end 13" I should be pretty good. Decisions, decisions. I don't need one now, but I don't want to put off switching to OS X any longer either. I'm tired of Windows. Guess I'll see what the climate of the Mac world is on Christmas Eve. :D
     
  7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

    Sneakz

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #7
    In terms of thermal design power compared to the enclosures volume, putting the i5/i7 Lynnfield procs in the new iMacs was a riskier move than putting the Gainestown Xeons in the Mac Pro.
     
  8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #8
    Anyone who has a computer that currently functions who then decides to buy a MBP now is making a very unwise decision. It's amazing how similar adults are to children when looking forward to their new toys. They are so overwhelmed with anticipation that delying their gratification even a month or two is completely out of the question.

    Every time there is a revision there are a least a few threads from members who couldn't wait -- who then ask if Apple will exchange their 60 day old computer for the new model.

    If you're on these forums, asking if you should wait--you should wait.
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    The point about this is that if you ask then many will say "read the buyer's guide". Then those who do will also note that Apple has said that there is nothing new coming out. That is confusing when the buyer's guide suggests that waiting may be best. Now, apply logic (my logic at least), and you get that buying now may be risky, but you'll have minimal 1.5 months until something new is announced. Then you apply more logic and figure at best March 2010. It gives Apple a couple of months to announce and then say "ships in March".

    The point being, the two are confusing to the layman shopper. For me, if what is out today suits my needs and I want then I'll buy. The only thing that makes me wait is when something is weeks away.


    To the OP, if you need now buy now. If you need by Christmas wait until the first two weeks of December and then buy; the specs are likely not to change between today and December 25th.
     
  10. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #10
    Such sensible and mature words tainted by a picture of a ball licking cat next to it...so hard to reconcile in my brain ;)
     
  11. Blinkwing macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #11
    Heh, it'll be interesting to see what changes Apple makes to the MBP series sometime next year, seeing as I'm planning on waiting until they change the internals so I can upgrade this IBM lappy that's falling to bits.

    I just hope that they keep any major changes consistent to the whole lineup, it would suck if they kept C2D CPUs in the 13" and upgraded to i3/5/7 mobile CPUs in the 15" and 17" MBP.
     
  12. flakes8 macrumors regular

    flakes8

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    New England
    #12
    Just curious, does Apple increase the price of new release products ? For example I am looking to get a 15-inch: 2.66GHz MBP with a matte screen which is about $2050.00, and if I wait do you think from past experience that something with similar specs will be much more expensive. Thanks for any input.
     
  13. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tardman91

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Tampa Area, FL
    #13
    Lately they've been keeping prices pretty level, in some cases even lowering the price. Depending on the changes they make and how extensive they are it's anybody's guess as to what will happen to the prices. I wouldn't expect a big change in either direction though. Maybe +/- $100?
     

Share This Page