Buyers Remorse...13" MBA should I have gotten the pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by newdeal, Dec 29, 2010.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I bought a 13" macbook air, I am having a bit of buyers remorse due to no backlit keyboard. I am now wondering if I should have gotten the 13" macbook pro. I don't take the laptop out of the house, I have a 21.5" imac and just use the notebook when I am on the couch etc. I like the battery life which is why I didn't get the 11". The only thing I like about the air is I feel the resale value may be better as likely there will be a new macbook pro soon. Does it make sense that I got the air or should I return it and get the pro?

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

return and get an ipad, and pocket the extra grand.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would agree with this considering the usage posted by the OP

4. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

my iPad is on ebay right now so I doubt I will buy another one. It worked well for web surfing but in the end there were some programs I couldn't run on the ipad and I got frusterated by that and decided I would rather have a full fledged computer

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

How you guys got to that from "using it on the couch" baffles me. On the couch, I can do stuff that an iPad can do, but usually, I'm writing out code, using things like Illustrator/Photoshop, managing my files and archiving to my NAS, doing some stuff on my Unix server through SSH, all things that would be awkward to do on the iPad using things like iSSH/VNC.

Not to mention any kind of typing on iOS bugs to no hell.

For the OP : If all you want is the backlit keyboard, what do you do on the iMac ? It has no backlit keyboard. Don't let "bullet points" ruin your choice.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

With the OP's main point of not having a backlite keyboard the iPad won't help. No one can type faster on an iPad over a full size keyboard.

OP: You need to figure out what you really need, if a backlite keyboard is that important to you then buy the MBP or the MB that has the backlite keyboard (Yes, there is one. I have it.) Good luck on your decision.

7. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

on the imac I turn the light on. The macbook I use in bed also when the lights are off or dim and I am looking at the keyboard at an off angle since it is on my chest. The only way the keys are illuminated is the glow from the screen. On the iMac it isn't an issue as like I said I just turn on the light but in bed it isn't that easy. The ipad was good but in bed it was more awkward and it just wasn't everything I want

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Care to point out which model ? Because I'm not seeing it on Apple's site. Only the MacBook Pro has the illuminated keyboard.

9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I had a 15" MBP and the wife a 13". She has an 11" Air and I have the 13". To me it's all about screen resolution. I hate to say it but the Pros looked maybe "fuzzy" on text compared to the airs. They are super nice machines

10. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I think its an older aluminum macbook before the pro became aluminum

11. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I never noticed fuzzy text on my pro I used to have but I definately notice that the color gamut isn't as good on the air screen

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, the 6 month run of the original unibody Macbook aluminium, there was one (the higher end model) that had the illuminated keyboard. Since I had picked the lower end model when I bought mine didn't have it.

But that's long gone and I don't think I've even seen them in the refurb section for quite a while. Not to mention with the specs they have and the price on the refurb store, it would be plain dumb to buy one of these instead of a MBP.

13. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

agreed. there were some one awhile back, not much cheaper than the pro but far worse battery life

14. shingles314 macrumors newbie

If back-lit keyboard is "the deal breaker", I think the answer is fairly clear, get the MBP. :)

Or, you can do like me, have an MBP 15" AND an 11" MBA.

15. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

could always take a course in typing, wont need to see the keys then ;)

16. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

lol

17. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

18. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

I can type very well without looking at the keys but it becomes far more difficult when you are on your back and looking for the volume keys or the brightness keys or any of the other special function keys that wouldn't be part of a typing course.

19. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Well, I sold my 13" 2.53GHz MBP to buy a base 13" MBA in late October, so let me weigh in.

At no time have I missed the extra weight. I'm a touch typist - I hit 180wpm every once in a while - and the backlit keyboard hasn't gone amiss either.

I utterly adore the MBA's screen resolution ... the sensation is akin to using my 15" MBP without the "lug" factor.

My only regret is that (a) I didn't wait until the "ultimates" became available at the Apple Store and (b) that I gave such short shrift to the 11.6" MBA. My estimation now is that I could live quite happily with the 11.6 and lose a little more weight and size.

Bottom line: The MBP feels like a dinosaur in comparison (even the 13") and the backlit keyboard isn't something worthy of the other tradeoffs. I'll grant that the spaceship-lighting effect was quite impressive at times, but I don't miss it at all now.

20. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

impressive speed, that not too far of Guinness World Record speed!

21. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I'm typing this with my Air on my chest while I'm on my back...

The angle I'm at doesn't allow me to identify any key...even if i puff up my pillow as high as it can go, I can't see the keyboard at an angle that allows me to see the top of the keys so I'm not sure a backlit-keyboard would help...not to mention that my neck gets pretty uncomfortable trying...

A second point is that it's almost impossible to type quickly like this...come to think of it...why would you type in this position? Watch a vid like this, maybe...but if you have to type why not get off your back to do it?

That solution would probably be an easier one than returning/exchanging the MBA for the Pro. IMO at least.

22. bigwheel macrumors newbie

perhaps you are looking for love in all the wrong places?

23. size100 macrumors regular

x2

24. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    ha ha - good one.

I'm starting to think the real point here is how come the OP is always with a device in front of him/her??

surely some time away from a screen would be a good idea.

iMac for computering - newspaper for reading - tv for watching - partner (or at least a good book) for bed. ;)

Oh, and head outside for some fresh air every now and again and perhaps even consider a week free of all electronic devices.

25. size100 macrumors regular

I'd be impressed with 120+wpm sustained for a paragraph.