Buyers remorse - cancel the order for new MBP?

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
Don't sigh!

Well, I've placed an order for the new MBP (the cheapest one but with the 160 GB HDD). I can afford it, but I don't really need the power, it's just that, I'm not sure if I can wait any more for an upgraded MB. What I really like about the MBP is the extra screen real estate, but how much is that worth?

The MB also has some pros over the MBP, for example the easily replacable HDD, better WiFi reception (?), the magnetic latch (when I had an iBook it accidentally opened sometimes), cheaper :))).

The arguments I've been trying to use to justify buying a MBP is: bigger screen, the computer is not that much bigger than the MB, nor that much heavier, and it was just upgraded (duh). I don't want to buy the old MB from May. So it's either, keep the order or wait even longer (I sold my iBook last september, I kind of want a new computer). Obviously no one can predict when the MB's will be upgraded, and I'm not too positive considering how long it took for Apple to upgrade the MBP. Anyway, if I receive it, and decide I don't want it, can I return it without any extra charge (I live in Sweden)?

Hmm, any suggestions?
 

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
198
0
Dude keep your order. Seriously the macbooks suck. Well they don't, they're also a great low-end computer for the casual user who don't run into problems but I speak for myself only when I say they suck, as they sucked big time for me. Just think about it, you are getting the latest processor, dedicated 128 or 256 MB graphics memory. a dual layer superdrive. An expresscard slot that the Macbook doesn't have. Better resolution, bigger hard drive and what not. I can just keep on going.

Now considering the issues the biggest issue surrounding the pro models is the heat issue. Now think about it, the pros have been silently revised many times since they were released and since you're definitely getting a newly assembled piece because of the upgrade you're likely not to have it.

Now think about the Macbooks. If you're lucky you're lucky, but if you're like me and recieve two macbooks both of them severely defective......you'll be pretty damn pissed. Not to mention there's always a chance of getting the dreaded moobook, granted the firmware upgrade fixes the moo, however most users have complained that the mooing macbook's fan makes a louder noise after the firmware upgrade than when it used to moo!

So just keep your order and be happy.
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
I do like what you're saying. However, if I bought the MacBook (that is, if it's ever upgraded...), I would still equip it with 2 GB RAM and a 160 GB HDD.

I don't think I have any use for a dedicated graphics chip, but I do agree that it's nice. The better SuperDrive is also a plus, although I guess they would equip the MB with the same one (but you never know, Apple are freaking sneaky). I hadn't even thought about the ExpressCard! That's definitely a plus. :)

Damn!
 

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
10,959
3,552
Bay Area
if you don't need the power than you'll be kicking yourself for overspending when the C2D macbooks come out in the next month.

IMO, the one thing you should NOT do is buy the current MB. If you can wait for the new MB, I think that's the best. But if you can't wait then stick with what you ordered.
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
QCassidy352 said:
if you don't need the power than you'll be kicking yourself for overspending when the C2D macbooks come out in the next month.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. And I'll probably be kicking myself for cancelling the order if they don't come out.

IMO, the one thing you should NOT do is buy the current MB. If you can wait for the new MB, I think that's the best. But if you can't wait then stick with what you ordered.
Of course I can wait. Whatever that means. I merely want it. I don't do anything that depends upon it, it would just make my life easier (I'm currently using an old laptop with a P3 <something, 500?> MHz, 192 MB RAM and 10 GB HDD).
 

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
173
0
East Coast
If you open the new MBP, you won't go back; having the most recent model before the upgrade myself, there's just something sleeker about it than the traditional Macbooks. Besides, the better speakers, illuminated keyboard, and higher base specs are really worth it (my personal opinion). It's not worth playing the waiting game now that you've made the order, and you may be glad for the graphics chip if something comes along that does require it.
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
cecildk9999 said:
If you open the new MBP, you won't go back
I have been thinking about that. Wait for it to arrive and check it out (I have seen it, but not when it's 'mine' ;)), and, uh, send it back if I regret my decision. I don't even know if that's possible, but I believe we have a law in Sweden that allows you to send stuff back within 14 days if you're not pleased with the product. Better check that out though.

Just to be clear, my hesitance is because of the price. Yes, I do have the money, I just don't feel it's justified in my case.

Edit: I'm unsure how it works when I've asked them to put a 160 GB HDD in it. Maybe I won't be able to return it then. I might have to cancel the order tomorrow then, if I'm going to do it. I have to pay shipping back if I receive it, but how much is that?
 

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
236
0
Keep the MBP, its superior in many ways and will last longer. The much better graphics card will be very useful when future apps start taking advantage of CG (i.e. widgets).
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
Actually, I'm getting close to cancelling my order. With the money I save I could buy a nice external monitor. That would be more useful I suppose. The only thing is, Apple better release an upgraded MB soon. :(
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
Bill Gates said:
In that case it simply depends (IMO) on whether you want a 15" or a 13" screen. I personally would keep the MBP order.
I'm not sure the difference is worth that much. 1280x800 vs 1440x900, the difference is not that big.
 

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
1,576
0
Keele, United Kingdom
sulhaq said:
Dude keep your order. Seriously the macbooks suck. Well they don't, they're also a great low-end computer for the casual user who don't run into problems but I speak for myself only when I say they suck, as they sucked big time for me. Just think about it, you are getting the latest processor, dedicated 128 or 256 MB graphics memory. a dual layer superdrive. An expresscard slot that the Macbook doesn't have. Better resolution, bigger hard drive and what not. I can just keep on going.
I totally disagree. The MacBook is an amazing computer. Its at least as fast as a PowerMac G5 on most things (ie, universal apps) which is amazing preformace for a notebook. I've had my MacBook for a few months now and its been absolutley fantastic. Not a single problem at all. The MacBook is not a low end computer-a low end computer has a Celeron. The Core Duo is still a good CPU, its only a very small amount slower than the Core 2 Duo. The graphics and the expresscard slot I agree with however.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,714
1,801
I would cancel the order and wait a while longer and order a tricked out macbook. You will want the 2GB RAM, not sure if you got 1 or 2 with the MBP, as well as do you really need a backlit keyboard, expresscard slot, etc. I have a 12" PB, and if there had been a MacBook/MacBook Pro at the time I would have gotten the MacBook. The high end machine isn't necessary for the everyday casual user, unless you have money to burn, and it sounds like you don't. Even with the C2D in the new MBP, there isn't as much difference between the two lines like there was between a Powerbook and a G3 iBook. Even the G4 iBook still seems inferior to a Powerbook, but now I really don't see as much of a difference in the lines. But then again, I would also pony up the extra cash for the black one.
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
I ended up cancelling the order. It just felt too unmotivated. The money could probably be spent on better things. I just need to keep myself occupied until Apple releases an upgraded MacBook.
 

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
255
0
New York, NY
other said:
I do like what you're saying. However, if I bought the MacBook (that is, if it's ever upgraded...), I would still equip it with 2 GB RAM and a 160 GB HDD.

I don't think I have any use for a dedicated graphics chip, but I do agree that it's nice. The better SuperDrive is also a plus, although I guess they would equip the MB with the same one (but you never know, Apple are freaking sneaky). I hadn't even thought about the ExpressCard! That's definitely a plus. :)

Damn!
Screen real estate is absolutely ESSENTIAL if you do design, layout, video editing, or photography work. If you don't do any of the above, save your money because there's really no reason to use anything above the Macbook's native resolution. You'll rarely run into anything that requires more than even 1024x768 these days except for pro design apps and the occasional game. In a few years, that might not be true, but for the foreseeable future I think higher res screens, although certianly a nice treat, are only real essential for pro users or layout work.

As for the rest... if you can afford a better machine, get a better machine. It lasts longer, has less memory-related issues, and has higher resale value. I think you'll be surprise, over the course of a couple of years, how much a consumer MacBook "slows down" as compared to an MBP (same was true of iBook vs. Powerbook).
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
clintob said:
Screen real estate is absolutely ESSENTIAL if you do design, layout, video editing, or photography work. If you don't do any of the above, save your money because there's really no reason to use anything above the Macbook's native resolution. You'll rarely run into anything that requires more than even 1024x768 these days except for pro design apps and the occasional game. In a few years, that might not be true, but for the foreseeable future I think higher res screens, although certianly a nice treat, are only real essential for pro users or layout work.
Exactly, and I don't do any of the things you mentioned.

As for the rest... if you can afford a better machine, get a better machine. It lasts longer, has less memory-related issues, and has higher resale value. I think you'll be surprise, over the course of a couple of years, how much a consumer MacBook "slows down" as compared to an MBP (same was true of iBook vs. Powerbook).
Really? If the MacBook gets equipped with the C2D, I find that kind of hard to believe (about things that don't require any significant graphics card).

Has Intel released their new GPU? (GMA965, or what was it called?)
 

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
3,090
86
Miami, FL
other said:
Exactly, and I don't do any of the things you mentioned.



Really? If the MacBook gets equipped with the C2D, I find that kind of hard to believe (about things that don't require any significant graphics card).

Has Intel released their new GPU? (GMA965, or what was it called?)
Not that I'm aware of.

Seriously, I would keep the MBP. I've seen the macbook in person, and it's just too small for me. But then again, I have a 15.4" and before that a 14.1". Honestly, it's nice on occasion to kill all the apps your working with, open WoW and play. Even if it's just occasionally.
 

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
255
0
New York, NY
other said:
Really? If the MacBook gets equipped with the C2D, I find that kind of hard to believe (about things that don't require any significant graphics card).

Has Intel released their new GPU? (GMA965, or what was it called?)
Well, the more I look into it you might be right. The iBook vs. Powerbook comparison was unfair because the iBook was actually an inferior product (slower bus speed, less cache, etc, than the PB).

It's worth mentioning that system speed is not totally about processor - actually the processor isn't more or less important than anything else. Speed is less about the "sexy" specs and more about the invisible specs. The MB has no GPU, and that will hurt you if you do graphics-intensive work, but otherwise, it's a similar machine to the MBP in terms of nuts and bolts.

Cache and bus speed are the unsung heroes of computer speed. These are topics that rarely get discussed, but actually have a tremendous effect on the speed of your machine. You can pump up your processor and RAM until you're blue in the face, but if your bus speed is slow, it all just bottlenecks down to that speed anyway.

So if the next MB update brings the cache and bus speed to levels that match the MBP, then for the most part they should "age" at the same rate.
 

other

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
312
0
clintob said:
Well, the more I look into it you might be right. The iBook vs. Powerbook comparison was unfair because the iBook was actually an inferior product (slower bus speed, less cache, etc, than the PB).

It's worth mentioning that system speed is not totally about processor - actually the processor isn't more or less important than anything else. Speed is less about the "sexy" specs and more about the invisible specs. The MB has no GPU, and that will hurt you if you do graphics-intensive work, but otherwise, it's a similar machine to the MBP in terms of nuts and bolts.

Cache and bus speed are the unsung heroes of computer speed. These are topics that rarely get discussed, but actually have a tremendous effect on the speed of your machine. You can pump up your processor and RAM until you're blue in the face, but if your bus speed is slow, it all just bottlenecks down to that speed anyway.

So if the next MB update brings the cache and bus speed to levels that match the MBP, then for the most part they should "age" at the same rate.
But if they put a C2D in the MacBook, it will have the same cache and bus speed (unless they go sub 2 GHz, but why would they do that). Or am I missing something?
 

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
255
0
New York, NY
other said:
But if they put a C2D in the MacBook, it will have the same cache and bus speed (unless they go sub 2 GHz, but why would they do that). Or am I missing something?
Exactly, that's what I was saying. Assuming they bump the cache and bus up to MBP levels, then they're similar machines (short the GPU of course).
 

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
886
69
Elk Grove, CA
The Macbook Pro will hold it's value much more than macbook... Like the powerbook compared to iBook... You still see power books for a 'lil over $1000 or more, while even the latest iBook is around 400-700 USD...

Just Something to think about... The Macbook Pro WILL hold its value more....

Also, the MBP has Firewire 800 now...
 

flalaw

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
165
1
United States
the screen on the macbook pro is not just larger, but its also not glossy like the macbook. that would be a huge point i personally would consider since i can't stand the glossy screen. also, i like the keyboard a lot more on the macbook pro. finally, nothing beats the sexy aluminum enclosure. all these things are personal preferences of course. its just that this would be the way i'd go if i had to make the decision you're faced with. honestly, i think if you have the money go w/ it
 

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
118
0
Olympic Peninsula, WA
The computer you choose will be obsolete the moment you buy it, so I normally would discourage you from waiting for the next best because you'll be waiting forever. In this case though, you might get a lot better machine if you just wait a little longer for the MacBook C2D update which is surely coming.

The MacBook is an awesome machine. I've owned all types of PowerBooks, 12", 15" and 17" and the MacBook holds up very well against the latest PBG4 and even PowerMac G5 machines. I think that unless you are running games or have intense graphics needs, the MacBook will serve you well and save you some money over the MBP.

The one issue I have with my current MB is that it only supports 2GB of RAM. I've found that running Adobe apps is not a problem until you start running out of physical memory. Rosetta seems to suck up every spare byte it can find so it hits a wall and the system really slows down if you run many applications simultaneously. If I were to buy an MBP, I would spend the extra bucks for the 3GB.

The only thing I've really missed from the PowerBook is the backlit keyboard and light sensor. These are handy when you travel a lot and have varying light conditions to deal with. Surprisingly, the glossy screen has NOT been a problem at all (even with glare from airplane windows), and I love the saturated colors I get with it.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.