Buyer's remorse for a 24" Dell Monitor / Waiting for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Apr 13, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

My plan was this: Buy a 24" Dell monitor for a decent price ($595 shipped after taxes), plug it into my iMac for the meantime, then upgrade to a mac pro when they get updated hopefully by June, and sell the iMac.

Now I am regretting this decision. I am thinking I should just wait until Leopard is released. Then I should get a monitor and the Mac Pro etc. By that time, maybe Apple displays will be cheaper. Or the new Apple monitors will be RAD!

Can I just not accept the UPS package from Dell and get a full refund? Will they charge a re-stocking fee? Or should I just take the monitor and wait forever for Mac Pro updates? Or should I just take the monitor and buy a Mac Pro right now?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Is your iMac fine for your needs?

It doesn't hurt to have 2 displays (iMac and Dell)...

I wouldn't wait until Leopard to buy the Mac Pro because it will be updated before then.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iMac MOSTLY fits my needs. Recently I have been using Logic, and my wife is doing a wedding photography business. These two things are pushing me towards a box where I could cheaply add fast hard drives and enjoy a fast computer.

I was under the impression that the quad core/ 8 core are really going to benefit from Leopard. That is why I wanted to wait.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Just buy the Mac Pro now if you need it and upgrade to Leopard later. You aren't missing out on that much speed.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You can add a fast, external drive to your iMac. An external drive is always a good thing to have. How much memory is in the iMac? Could it benefit by being upped?

I think there are hardware issues related to memory bandwidth which prevent the 8-core all it will be. I would try to make do with the iMac first.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

i wouldn't wait until leopard. people forget fast that tiger is an amazing OS and still better than Vista. you can't lose.

BUT, check this forum on Sunday as NAB is happening. rumours are abound that new apple displays will be released....

Cheers,
    Keebler