buyers remorse necessary? MA896LL/A late 07 15" Mac Book Pro on ebay for around $1k

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sashafish, Aug 2, 2009.

1. sashafish macrumors newbie

sashafish

So, I just bought a 15" Mac Book Pro from late 2007, it has the 2.4 ghz core two dual merom processor, and still has apple care until 10/2010. Matte screen, express card slot, Nvidia GEforce 8600m (256mb) video card, 2gb ram, 160 gb hd... I paid around $1k - what do you think? a good deal? an ok deal? not at all a deal?

I want to use it for video editing, but i purchased it without thoroughly researching whether it meets the minimum hardware reqs to run the new version of final cut studio well, and/or how zippy it will be with snow leopard. I'm feeling insecure, like I should have waited for one on craigslist, or for a better bargain on ebay, but instead I got caught up in the thrill of the bid. Of course, I suppose I could attribute some monetary value to the endless additional hours i could have spent obsessively researching this purchase, which i now have to use for something else. And, I suppose coming from my super duper draggy powerbook g4 it will seem great, but.. still.. penny for your thoughts?

Also, anyone wanna make me an offer on a 1.67 ghz powerbook G4 with some damage on the bottom casing (Everything works fine, and otherwise it's in perfect shape, but sadly the dvi in is right under the warped metal, and, since the warping ocurred, i've been unable to connect it to an external monitor.)

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would say you paid what they are going for.

3. sashafish thread starter macrumors newbie

sashafish

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I'd agree with Kellen, its a good machine, and it will serve you well. I have a similar one, if not identical. Snow Leopard should be able to utilise it quite easily. So thats a bonus.

Following that link should give you all you need to know about the final cut pro specs http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/ it seems to check out and should run fine. Might want to get a second monitor for color n such :)

PTP

5. sbb155 macrumors 6502

i would definitely have remorse
    no laptop can do video like a mac pro
    a 2006 dual 2.66 mac pro can be had on ebay for 1200-1500 $ frequently.
    It is faster than the fastest 2009 macbook pro for video.
    Look at multicore cinebench results
    laptops are dogs compared to even older MPs for video
    best of luck, you need it

6. sashafish thread starter macrumors newbie

sashafish

thanks MWPULSE, that helps too.. sbb155, yeah, on that point - that a desktop would be way better - i'm sure you're right, no doubt more bang for the buck. The reasoning in favor of a laptop , though, was that I need to be able to work away from my home, and i can't afford an office, nor a separate desktop to put in it, nor a mac pro plus a netbook, or whatever. so, i was only comparing betwixt and between macbook pros, no desktops in the mix.