Buying 15" i7 MBP, can i get the 7200 HD in the store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PsyD4Me, Apr 15, 2010.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

2. kingtj macrumors 68020

Nope ....

Appears to be build-to-order only. (After it's been out for a while though, I wouldn't be REAL surprised to find out a few random Apple Stores were selling them in-store, though. My local store has done this in the past, usually with the non-standard configuration machine sitting on a little table by itself with a sheet of paper detailing the specs and price next to it. I can only guess this happens if they do a BTO order for a customer that winds up changing their minds after it's too late to cancel the order, or a particular store manager has enough requests for a certain config. that he/she decides to order some special?)

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, but you can buy it on NewEgg and install it yourself. Instructions are in the manual or if you want something better check out iFixIt.com

4. kedruff macrumors newbie

At my local store last night, they did not have any with the 7,200 RPM drive. The only i7 they had, however, had the matte screen option. Curious what you intend to use the 7,200 RPM drive for. It will drain your battery quite quickly.

Cheers,
    KD

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Agree with others, buy the stock config and pick up a good WD or
    Seagate from someone like otherworldcomputing for a good price.

Get an enclosure from them at the same time and use the 5400 drive
    you take out, put it in the enclosure and have a great external drive.
    All the info you need on how to do this is on their site/I did it myself with my laptop.

PS-the new 7200's DO NOT drain your battery anymore than the 5400's-they are all very
    efficient these days.