Buying 2nd iPhone and switching numbers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotlex, Oct 29, 2012.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Quick question. I have a white iPhone 5 32GB that I bought a week or so after release. (With ATT). My wife has decided she wants a 5 as well. If I buy a new 64GB phone on a new contract, and want to use the 64GB for me, and give the 32GB to my wife, are there any issues in swapping phone numbers on phones contract wise? Figured I'd ask here as I generally find better answers than calling ATT. :D

2. hughiee macrumors member

This sim swap should be fine. You should activate your new 64GB iPhone under your number and call ATT to link your IMEI and ICCID (sim card) of the 32GB iPhone to your wife's mobile number.

Alternatively, your wife's number will be activated on the new iPhone and yours is on the iPhone your purchased earlier. Simply swap the sim cards between the two iPhone 5's as both are on ATT.

3. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. So yeah, I'm stupid regarding these things, but basically I can just buy the new phone as a replacement for hers\her number, she is out of contract, and then just swap the sim cards? Never done it, or had to, but sounds simple enough.

thanks