Buying 5s at bestbuy....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Truefan31, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I got an account with bb, I see the 32 gb 5s is 799.99. Will they match the 749.99 everywhere else? What do I show for them to match it? And I know it's gsm unlocked already but it should also have a clean esn for CDMA right?

Also what's their return policy on this? Restocking fee?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

It would be easier to call and ask, get an accurate answer.

3. zer06ame macrumors member

They should price match but you'll likely have to fight them. I used to work at a BBY and we would almost never price match even though it was company policy.

As far as being unlocked for GSM and CDMA use, check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1637205

The only factory unlocked 5S is VZWs but it won't work on Sprint (but will on all GSM carriers). Take a look for your exact intentions.

4. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I plan on putting tmobile on it just wanted to make sure the verizon esn is clean as well since it won't be activated on it.

Yeah I'm wondering if I show the apple.com price, or even the verizon.com price they will match it.

5. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

lol, this sounds so ridiculous. Have to fight a store to do something that they are supposed to do according to the company's policy. lol

6. zer06ame macrumors member

Believe me, I completely agree. I wanted a price match from my nearest Best Buy during the holidays (not my location) on an iPad that I was gifting and they literally made me call the local competitor on their phone, wait 30 minutes, get a verification the item was in-stock there, then they tried to fight me that it isn't a local competitor because it's not in the same city (it was still only 15 miles away).

I finally just got mad and demanded the GM. My own store straight up told me no, we won't price match it because you'll hurt our attachment rate.

Best Buy is garbage. I don't buy ANYTHING for them after working for them and seeing their underhanded practices.

7. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I don't get why they're 50 more than everywhere else. I figure I'd just print out both sites' price and go up there. 18 months zero financing I'm getting the 32gb 5s and ipad 5

8. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yeah, Best Buy has been a total rip off since I can remember, when it comes to cellphones. They've always been at least $50 more for full retail price than buying it from the carrier or manufacturer. Thats why I have never bought a cellphone from them. It's actually a little insulting to customers.

9. zer06ame macrumors member

It's likely because they're making nothing on the MSRP Apple and everyone else is charging. I bet if you are singing up for a new BBY CC, they'll happily price match. Branded payments netted our store $100 for every sign up in kickbacks from HSBC and if you got the premium MC version, we received $250.

10. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Buying 5s at bestbuy....

So I'm gonna have to fight for them just to match what everywhere else is selling them for. Seems ridiculous

Maybe cuz I've had an account with them for years they can do it. I already feel an escalated meeting happening lol

11. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

I'm a best buy mobile employee

You show them proof or where to find proof of the price you want. The catch?

The phone must be available at that store. The exact phone. (You cannot match a verizon price for an att phone etc...)

There is no restocking fee and it's 15 days return policy.

They might give you a hassle about price matching (some stores do) but it's in their policy and they HAVE to do it. So don't let up. Speak to a Manager or a GM if they hassle you.

I hate how Best Buy gets so many negative comments, get over it people.

12. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So do I show a printout of a verizon 5s then off the web?

13. zer06ame macrumors member

No, he's saying you need proof that the other retail location has them currently in-stock for immediate purchase.

I mentioned that in one of my posts above involving purchasing an iPad that needed a price match. Req'd me to provide the ad, confirm via phone the local location had them in-stock, then tried to say it had to be in the same city (not true).

If they start asking about you buying protection services through them at the beginning, say yes and they'll be way more willing to make it work. Politely decline once they start ringing up the transaction and say you need to think about it. You can add most protection services within the return period, so say you'd feel more comfortable to think about it and come back within that period.

14. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Any idea how'd I show proof then? There's a verizon corporate store right around the corner from my bb.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the big problem people had was that Best Buy doesnt sell "T-Mobile" iPhones. So the complaint I've heard about is that BB will FORCE you to activate on whatever carrier you purchased on which ruins the whole deal.

16. sucka free macrumors member

17. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Lol @"I hate how Best Buy gets so many negative comments.." They knowingly charge more for full retail than every carrier, and manufacturer, and you admitted that "they might give you a hassle about price matching", although its in their policy. Yet you don't like the negative comments, and people should just "get over it"? LMAO

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You'll need to ask at the store as some products have different policies. Also, BB subscribes to a third party service that tracks your returns and if your return pattern becomes "suspicious" BB will not allow you to return items (number of returns, dollar amount, etc.). When you cross that threshold they'll tell you at the time of a purchase that the item is not returnable.

19. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm somewhat familiar with retail stores and their agreements with manufacturers.

While price matching is now more common as a result of policy changes, they still have to abide by their resale agreements with the specific manufacturers. Different agreements allows the manufacturers to dictate the the lowest sale price of their items sold at Best Buy and when those sales occur. If those prices are violated, then companies like Apple can revoke their agreement and pull their items off of Best Buy's shelves. I should note that agreements are different between authorized Apple resellers like cell phone carriers, Target, Best Buy, etc.

In this instance, Apple's agreement with Best Buy is more than likely more stringent than it is with other stores. An example of this was last summer, Target was selling iPad 3's at $20-50 off (I forget the exact sale). While some customers came in wanting to price match, if an employee went through the POS system to reduce the price, that sale would be FLAGGED as a type of breach of said agreement. Granted, it could've been done with manager approval, but there's no telling when a manufacturer will say enough is enough.

Also, you'll notice that only SOME Best Buys are authorized Apple computer retailers. If you go to one that is NOT an authorized Apple retailer and an employee sells you an iMac for in-store pick-up at a Best Buy store that is, that is a HUGE no-no and can be reason for Apple to cease their agreement with the Best Buy's in that region or district.

Another example is Costco. A few years ago, Costco was allowed to sell some Apple products like iTunes gift cards and iPods. However, their agreement with Apple was that they were not allowed to sell iTunes gift cards online. Furthermore, Costco was not allowed to sell iTunes gift cards at some of the discount prices they were actually selling them at. This ended up leading to a mutual falling out between the two companies.

20. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I do not recommend best buy -- few days back I tried to buy a iPhone 5S at full price (already bought one on launch date because they made error on their site by allowing orders to be placed for "In Store Pickup" and thankfully honored because I showed up at the best buy at 8am lol) but the lady few days ago at the mobile station they have inside said "We don't make enough money on outright sales so right now policy from corporate is that we are not allowed to sell any iPhone 5S at full price until demand for contracts is met" --- I had called in for 3 days straight to check stock prior to going in and they had the iPhone 5S Silver Verizon in stock all 3 days......It was rude and stupid.

Manager was no help either, she refused to help and said i can call corporate (she said she is giving me the direct number so I do not have to talk to anyone else but turned out the number she gave me was just for their online orders department -- learned after being on hold for 25mins).

Then I did what one of the members recommended, placed order online @ Apple.com for 2 yr, but since I'm from Canada my credit check didn't happen and I was needed to make deposit in order to proceed, got to the store, asked the genius to just cancel and let me pay full price so I can be done with rather than being tied into a contract, literally about total 12 mins later I was out the door with my iPhone 5S.

21. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Great.

Then you can tell me why the Best Buy Mobile in the Manassas Mall in Virginia sold my (and plenty of other customers') pre-ordered, PAID FOR iPhone 5s on launch day to walk-in customers then told "sorry, nothing we can do" after completely selling out of stock.

I cancelled my order and got my 5s at an Apple Store.

Utter B.S.

Clearly Best Buy doesn't even educate their employees of the basic concept of customer service.

Would you just get over it?

Go pound sand, pal. You work for those asswipes.

22. Spacial macrumors 6502

We have three Best Buy Stores in our area. They use that same company policy freely, willingly, and to their advantage.

One can tell by the smiles on the employees faces, moral is great, the stores are quite busy, and customers are walking out with purchases in hand.

It's amazing what a good attitude can do for business.

23. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So how does one get a price match on the 5s? Again there's a verizon corporate store right around the corner from my best buy in Virginia

24. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Save the hassle and save your money. Just go to the Verizon store.

For the set up you want, it will be a guaranteed headache dealing with Best Buy.

Trust me, they're morons and I don't recommend Best Buy for anything.

25. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Good luck trying to get a Device Only 5S from Best Buy.

Most of the stores around me require you to have an account with the carrier you plan on buying the Device Only 5S with. They also told me it has to be activated on the account before you the leave too

YMMV