Buying 5s today, buyers remorse, 14 day trial?

americaroma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I've been wanting to buy an iphone for a while now, sold my M8 actually after realizing it was too big and missed the compact size of my iphone 5 i had owned previously.

So i was thinking, if i buy an iphone 5s unlocked version from verizon (if they sell one full priced without an account). Do i have the 14 day period to return it IF for some reason i really like what the iphone 6 offers when it is officially announced on sept 9? Or is that something from buying directly from apple?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Here's what I would do in this situation.

I'd wait 8 days, because that's when apple is going to announce it. (9.9.2014)
Then I'd decide what I want.

If you don't like the iPhone 6 for whatever reason, you can get an iPhone 5s.

New phone, dropped price (probably $99, assuming it'll be the same as past products)
It's a win-win.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I've been wanting to buy an iphone for a while now, sold my M8 actually after realizing it was too big and missed the compact size of my iphone 5 i had owned previously.

So i was thinking, if i buy an iphone 5s unlocked version from verizon (if they sell one full priced without an account). Do i have the 14 day period to return it IF for some reason i really like what the iphone 6 offers when it is officially announced on sept 9? Or is that something from buying directly from apple?
If you buy from verizon directly, you can return within 14 days however you will have to pay a $35 restocking fee.

If you buy from apple, you can return within 30 days (no questions asked/no fee)

americaroma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Here's what I would do in this situation.

I'd wait 8 days, because that's when apple is going to announce it. (9.9.2014)
Then I'd decide what I want.

If you don't like the iPhone 6 for whatever reason, you can get an iPhone 5s.

New phone, dropped price (probably $99, assuming it'll be the same as past products)
It's a win-win.
That was the original plan, and what i was wanting to do... but i remember it was so difficult to find an iphone5 2 years ago, i ended up finding one only 2 months after.

Anyway i think i'm gonna follow your advice, gotta be a bit more patient and like you say, its a win win situation.

I also think i need an account with verizon if i wanna buy from them, i dont have one so i really have no choice either to buy online. I might as well just wait 8 more days to see whats going to be upgraded.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
That was the original plan, and what i was wanting to do... but i remember it was so difficult to find an iphone5 2 years ago, i ended up finding one only 2 months after.

Anyway i think i'm gonna follow your advice, gotta be a bit more patient and like you say, its a win win situation.

I also think i need an account with verizon if i wanna buy from them, i dont have one so i really have no choice either to buy online. I might as well just wait 8 more days to see whats going to be upgraded.
Good, good.

Remember that the 5S is future-proof. It's a great phone.
It'll still be a good phone when the 6 comes out. (Except for the features that might be exclusive to the 6)

:)

elisamal428

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm in the same boat pretty much.
I have been on Android for the past year and cannot wait to come back to iPhone. It's all I can do not to run out today and get the 5s.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Good, good.

It'll still be a good phone when the 6 comes out. (Except for the features that might be exclusive to the 6)

its not future proof. what happens if the new phones start coming out with more ram and more and more apps are made for this? I can see once that happens the older phones will slow down quite a bit.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
its not future proof. what happens if the new phones start coming out with more ram and more and more apps are made for this? I can see once that happens the older phones will slow down quite a bit.
Well, the 64-bit architecture in the A7 chip isn't even being used to its full potential.

Let me rephrase what I said.
'This is probably the most future-proof iPhone.'

It'll be good for a couple years. Compared to the 4, 4S, 5, etc.

sinclac57

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014

It's possible Verizon will be doing pre orders, that's how i got my iPhone 4.
They mailed it to me on launch day.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Well, the 64-bit architecture in the A7 chip isn't even being used to its full potential.

Let me rephrase what I said.
'This is probably the most future-proof iPhone.'

It'll be good for a couple years. Compared to the 4, 4S, 5, etc.
so what will happen after the ram is upgraded to older phones with less ram after ios8? with apps being updated for the memory ...

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
so what will happen after the ram is upgraded to older phones with less ram after ios8? with apps being updated for the memory ...
I guess that's true.
We'll have to see, because it doesn't look like the RAM is going to be increased for the 6.
We'll see after it's announced.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's cool, but maybe that's because it's not an accepted norm to abuse the return system like it is here.
No pretty sure we get a fair share of morons here in the UK to!

We just have better consumer protection laws in Europe than in the states. Like if your iPhone developed a fault after a year, you can get it repaired because you can argue it was obviously a manufacturing fault to begin with, (obviously not if you just drop your phone and it breaks!).

But saying that, we pay 20%+ more than you in the first place, so swings and roundabouts!

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
lol...why buy an iphone now when the new one is going to be in our hands in about 2 weeks lol. This is pretty comical..

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Good, good.

Nothing is "future proof." Maybe "3-4-year-proof." ;)

:apple: