Buying a 2012 15" rMBP with little warranty left?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appleduder, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Appleduder macrumors newbie

Hi there, need some advice!

A friend of mine has offered to sell me his 2.3 i7 15" rMBP for $1300, which, sounds like a great deal, but it only has Apple Care until the end of this month (2 more weeks to be exact). I thought that Apple Care could still be added on, but Apple had already replaced the display on his machine at the end of his actual 1 year period, and because they put the replacement in, Apple Care was extended for an additional 3 months outside of the original 1 year. So, I can no longer add Apple Care (if that makes sense).

Would love to get some thoughts on if this sounds like a good deal, or if I should stay away from purchasing a rMBP without Apple Care warranty. My gut tells me to stay away, but I am torn on what to do. I know that out of warranty repairs are quite pricey... but $1300 is hard to look past.

Thanks in advance!

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

What is the physical condition of the unit how many battery cycles in it? Might want to check what screen it has and what version?

3. Appleduder thread starter macrumors newbie

It's in mint condition, looks brand new. Has 266 cycles on the battery. Apple replaced the LG display it had with a Samsung display, he has all the paperwork for that work order as well.

4. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

IMHO I say don't do it. These machines are pricey to repair. Yeah you could be lucky and it could be a flawless experience but on the flip side, it could crap out in a month or so and you'll be stuck paying hundreds out of pocket.

I guess its up to you. Do you find this deal to be so good that you'll be willing to risk any repairs (if any) that crops up?

5. Appleduder thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i'm sort of thinking against it. In my experience, i've always had to get a logic board or something repaired on a Macbook at some point within the first year, so although it may be a good price, prob not worth it in the long run.

Appreciate the input everyone.

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I'd vote against as well. Given that you can get a "new" refurb for $1600, that difference shrinks to $300. (Yes, you pay tax to Apple, but that's offset if you use your Discover card and the ShopDiscover + quarterly shopping promos right now).

If we value a year of AppleCare warranty—which adds two years—at half the "best" cost for AppleCare ($244, from B&H), that takes another $122 off the value proposition. Add in the wear and tear on the battery, and you're all of a sudden not at any great deal.

I'd pass.

7. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Tell him to reduce it to $1200 and let's call it a day. He is a friend and I would think you know how he handles his tech stuff right?