buying a 2nd hand macbook...is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heliocentric, Jul 31, 2011.

1. heliocentric, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

heliocentric Guest

its this model

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500

the 2.4ghz model

in perfect condition, boxed with warranty till mid next year and snow leopard discs/iwork 09 discs for £500?

should run lion pretty good right?

thanks

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I have to chime in and say I have this same laptop. This is going to be the cheapest laptop that's the earliest relative to the modern MacBook Pros. It's the first and earliest true multitouch trackpad there was and it's just as good as the ones we have today - because it's the same. :p

That model has the awesome backlit keyboard (that I love) and has pretty decent graphics - I played through Portal 1 and 2 with no problems. It will run Lion just fine. My model has only 2gb of Ram, and the only multitasking problem I have is when I leave Safari windows minimized and running for days at a time.

I think that's a pretty good deal as long as nothing's wrong with it. This has been a great machine for me, and having the same Unibody that's in use today is a big plus. I won't be upgrading from this machine for a long time.

3. heliocentric thread starter Guest

Excellent :)

I forgot too mention it has been upgraded to 4gb of ram aswell!

How's the screen on it?

Thanks

4. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Thats a great machine, i had one and loved it. i even ran cinema 4d on it quite well. the screen is ok, not like a cinema display but of course those are a bit pricey

5. unixperience macrumors regular

it will run lion fine. I have that machine (no lion though) it really is great. It doens't have an sd card slot like the modern 13" mbp but it does have both and input AND and output jack, not one lame combo jack. which i really like because i mess around abit with recording music, so its nice to have an input and then i can plug in monitors or something, rather than getting stuck with only one plug like the newer models.

I bought mine used as well, and heres what I think, if there is still warranty on it, you can't go wrong. doesn't even have to work 100% (as long as its not liquid damage) it's got warranty to get it fixed. so i'd say you could make the purchase and rest easy

6. fm.illuminatus, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

fm.illuminatus macrumors newbie

That's about $820, right? Probably not. Just get a newer or certified refurbished one for a few £ more...

Here's what they go for in the US: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC516LL/A?mco=MTg0NzA2MTY

(That's about £515)

7. heliocentric thread starter Guest

bear in mind in the uk we pay 20% added tax on everything we buy new...

a refurbished new macbook pro in the uk costs £849 ($1,380) where as the same computer on the US apple site is $1,019 (more than $300 dollars cheaper! :().

8. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I bought that same model late-2008 (2.4Ghz/4GB/250GB) locally for $750 CAD complete in original packaging with a few months of AppleCare remaining, retail iLife 11, and a soft case.

I already had the late-2008 2.0Ghz model (bought on release day), but I wanted to help a friend upgrade from her white 2006 MacBook, so I gave it to her. I initially bought the new MacBook Air, but it was double the cost after tax, didn't seem much faster, and had no optical drive. So I returned it and just bought the same model I had, but with the backlit keyboard. That's the one thing the MBA spoiled for me.

As I said, other than the "instant loading" apps due to the flash storage of the Air, under Lion, this "old" computer doesn't feel any slower. It runs Lion perfectly and the trackpad supports all of the current gestures.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Definitely a great machine, had the 2.0ghz version with 4gb RAM before I switched to my MBP. As long as it is as described I'd say that's a fair price.

10. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

The screen, for me, is like upgrading to an HD television. I went from an iBook (where pixels were quite easily seen) to this glossy screen, and I have no regrets at all. Glare isn't an issue for me because I just don't pay attention to it. The brightest setting is almost blinding at night, and it's very crisp. I can't say a bad thing about this machine.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have one and I love it. I would say that's a good deal in good condition.

12. ViPhone macrumors 6502

It's hard for me to say because of the increase in price Apple seems to impose even with the exchange between U.S. dollars and pounds.

I would never consider it for the actual converted U.S. dollar value considering it is worth considerably less here, in the same currency. <-- This is due to Apple's odd international pricing.

Maybe considering the price of the refurbished, you SHOULD get it. :confused:

13. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

actually the earliest mutitouch track pad is the 2008 whitebook. which i have and i can multitouch just fine. :D

14. heliocentric thread starter Guest

15. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

yes