Buying a 360 on wednesday, but have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Sean7512, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

So, I have a Wii which I absolutely LOVE! I decided to combine birthday money with my own money to buy a 360 and NHL 2008. I only plan on getting the cheapest Arcade version. The lack of a harddrive on this version has given me some concern. I was wondering if the 256mb of internal memory is enough to save my progress in a few games (NHL, COD4)? Also, I know that you have to pay for XBOX Live, but are roster updates for NHL 2008 free? If they are free, will they install without a harddrive?

I see no reason to get the next model up, because I only plan on getting a hand-full of games.

Thanks!

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You will need either a hard drive or a memory card to save games. If you are going to buy games other than arcade games, getting an XBox 360 without a hard drive is a bad idea. I think some (most?) non-arcade games won't work at all without a storage device. You definitely cannot get updates without a storage device.

The paid version of XBox live is only necessary if you want to play online multi-player games. Everything else (updates, etc) can be had with the free XBox Live silver (or whatever they call it now).

3. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

You're going to want a hard drive whether or not you are going to own a lot of games. It'll save you a huge hassle. Xbox updates, game updates, rosters, saved games, etc. It adds up quick.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You do not want the arcade verson. Remember updates eat up memory and it would eat up that 256 very quickly.

Just fork out the extra money and get the one with the 20gig hard drive. It gives you a lot more option later on and it will be cheaper in the long run because you do not have to buy the memory units

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Does the arcade version come with a memory unit? Didn't realize that.

I'm a casual XBox 360 game layer, and I would have maxed out that memory unit long ago. Hard drive is a must.

Also: just noticed the Arcade version only comes with the crappy composite video cable. Not the component or HDMi high def cable. Another good reason not to get it.

6. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, so the Premium?

What I don't understand is why would XBOX system updates take up memory? Isn't it just a new firmware version essentially? So its like an iPhone update, where you download a 200mb file, but it replaces the whole firmware, so its not an additional 200mb, etc. And obviously the Arcade version has to have a firmware pre-installed, so wouldn't updates just replace that?

Sorry for the questions, I just don't really know anything about XBOX or anything at all.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You should clarify. Dashboard updates don't eat up memory as they are stored in flash. Game updates take up memory, but they're generally optional.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

For many games, updates are not optional if you use XBox Live -- you get logged out if you decline the update. It won't matter if you only do single-player campaigns.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sorry it is the game updates that take it up. Also the saves eat up a lot of space very quickly.

I would keep live on the back burner because you might find a game you really like. The minor cost extra for the Premium is just not worth it. Now the elite that is another story and for very little cost it is easy to take any system to that level. Now the stuff in the elite is a deal if you use it but for you the 20gig hard drive is great.

hell on my 360 if space does become and issues I will buy the 120 gig hard drive but until then nope.

10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Get the version with the HDD or you will regret it!!!!!

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would also suggest getting one with a hard drive

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

13. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got the version with the harddrive....not particularly happy about the price difference though, haha....What can I say, I am a poor college student :p

I wish I could play NHL tonight, BUT the real penguins are playing tonight and I have to study for an exam tomorrow...There is always tomorrow then

14. Rhinestorm macrumors member

It's not enough with CoD4, cause you're going to download a map pack.

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Get one with a hard drive. You will regret it if you don't.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Grats on the purchase. Hope it doesn't explode. :)

17. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem Already

So I finally had time to set the 360 up today. I cannot get it connected to the internet at all! Well, it does connect to XBox Live and says I have to do a system update, so I click on update, and it starts, then it quickly comes up and just says "download failed." Nothing I do fixes it. The router shows the xbox as connected, and the internet is working. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From the Xbox web site:

Attached Files: