Buying a DSLR, is this 20D as good a deal as I think it is?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuebby, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so I'd like to get into digital photography as a hobby and I've been shopping around lately and I just stumbled across a package on CL that I think might be perfect but I'd just like to get some other opinions, since I'm not really an expert on DSLRs.

I had been looking at a Canon XT or XTi because they were the cheapest Canons and my parents already have some Canon lenses but the package I found is a 20D which seems to be at least as good as the XT, even if it is a little heavier and larger.

I've emailed the seller asking for a couple more pictures but I haven't heard back yet (just sent).

Here's the package. All this for $700:
    -20D body
    -Canon 17-85 IS Lens
    -Canon 70-200 f/4 Lens (L series)
    -battery grip (BG-E2)
    -eye piece extender (EP-EX15)
    -non Canon extra battery
    -lens hood for 17-85
    -Canon 580 EX flash
    -Vivitar 283 flash with large battery supply
    -various lens filters
    -Pocket wizard cords: 580EX to receiver, and Pocket wizard to Vivitar 283
    -Pocket wizard plus II
    -hand strap, neck strap, camera bag

So what do you guys think?

2. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

wow.

tread carefully. seems like a great deal. demand to test it and accessories.

don't send a money order without having product.

Good luck

3. blade1139 macrumors newbie

Probably not......

Sorry to burst the bubble but I would say no.....even if all this stuff if used the math doesn't add up......
    EOS 20D......used is still at least $500.
    70-200 f/4L.......new is at least $575, used maybe drop $50 or at best $75.
    Then the rest of the acccesories probably $200, just the speedlight is at least $100.

So if you add up just this stuff without the other lens with IS, and the canon battery grip and the other filters, I would expect to at least drop $1000, unless there is damage or it really isn't what he is selling you. If it is true, go for it, but be very careful. Good Luck.

4. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I kind of agree, which is why I was skeptical at first. But it really isn't that rare that people do sell things really cheap on CL.

And in this case I think it sold already because the listing was just taken down.

5. thinkband macrumors regular

Only buy if he is willing to do a local sale.

I will bet you a dollar its a scam. Walk away dude. Why on earth would someone sell something that is obviously worth $1k+ on Craig's list for $700. Craig's list as well as ebay are full of scams nowadays. I bet he wants a money order or a bank transfer right? The contests in that listing are worth at least $1500.

This is what you could sell each for:

Canon 20d - $500ish
    17-85 - at least $200
    70-200 - $500
    Battery Grip - $150
    Flash - $250
    VIVITar flash - not sure.. $100ish?
    Lens filters -$20+ each
    Pocket Wizards - at least $100

You do the math, its a scam.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would have taken it, but only if the payment method wasn't dodgy. If local pickup is OK, then I would have done that. If he accepts Paypal, then that would be OK.

However, I'm not an expert on protecting myself from scams, so who knows.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Personally, anything off of craigslist, do locally and pay with cash. I would never go through paypal or pay before receiving the item.

8. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

That's one hell of a deal but yea like everyone says craigslist is kinda fishy.. local pick-up is ok but don't send anyone money without getting the items first since there's bunch of weak sellers these days

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Check the lenses for fungus.

Only do local, cash transactions with CL. In fact, there's another thread here about someone getting scammed with paying first and meeting for the goods later...dumb idea.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Its either stolen and he doesn't know how much its worth or he's trying to rip you off somehow. Try meeting face to face or don't do it at all.

11. jons macrumors 6502

That ad has been appearing all over the country. It's definitely a scam. When you do head back from them, they will probably tell you they're in England somewhere. LOL. I hate scammers.

- js