Buying a G5 and a monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by T-Bone, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. T-Bone macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2003
    So I'm looking to get a G5, but not totally sure which one to get and what accessories to go along with it.

    Right now I'm still using my beige 266 G3 that I bought over 5 years ago. It sucks pretty bad at this point. I was hoping to get a new computer last year but didn't have the cash. I know people that have installed OS X on those beige machines, but I figured it would be fairly sluggish and that sticking with 9 would be better until I upgraded. But I'm sick of using 9 because lately it's been crashing at least several times a day (something funky going on with the extensions, but I have lost all patience with thing and don't want to reformat again). It's just a huge headache, and it doesn't help that I use 10.2.8 at work and it's only crashed once in six months, and then I go home to my piece of junk.

    Now, someone mentioned to me that if I'm using a 266, I wouldn't need the power of the dual 2ghz and should go with the 1.8 (and just chuck a ton of RAM in there). It's true that at the moment I don't do any intensive video processing or game playing, but that's because I simply can't, not because I don't want to. I would love to be able to make my own DVDs and frag bots at lightning speed. I do some amateur poster design as well, so we're talking 11x17 size posters at 300 dpi, which of course takes forever on my current machine but would be a snap with virtually anything faster.

    I think I'd like to go for the dual simply because I don't want to spend over 2 grand and feel left in the dust processor-wise after only a year or even less. Plus I think I could really harness the power of it if given the opportunity.

    I probably would've bought the G5 a month ago but I was also told that a lot of times there are flaws (big flaws) in gen1 designs that are corrected in gen2. Obviously I don't want to drop $3k on something with major problems. Have any serious design issues been raised so far?

    It might be that financially my best option will be to get the G5 in the next month. Massachusetts is planning to offer two tax-free days for holiday shoppers, which means I could score the Holy Grail of savings - the education discount and no tax. My only question here is: can I get the ATI 9800 Pro pre-installed through a retail store, or is that considered BTO? If so I will probably have to settle with the 9600. Is the 9800 highly recommended? I do hope to play some graphic-intensive games like UT2003.

    Lastly, as far as monitors go, I'm thinking of splurging and getting the 23" cinema display. I've seen talk on here that they're likely to update these soon, however there's no way I can stick with my current 15" CRT. I wish I could actually see what the new design might look like, to see if it would be worth waiting, but if I can get it the edu discount without tax, I would be saving close to $300.

    So is this all a no-brainer? Get the dual G5 and the big-honkin' monitor and be happy?
  2. mac pac macrumors newbie

    Sep 21, 2003
    I think you should wait for the speed bumps, refurbished 2.0 duals would go for 2000. Wait untill Chirstmas :)
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030


    Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Nothing will come by Christmas... but possibly January.

    I would say get the Dual 2ghz, since you seem to like to keep your computers for a while :D And the Dual would help alot of Photoshop and making DVDs
  4. dieselg4 macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2003
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    in terms of screens

    If you want to wait and see if they update the screens, you could pick up a used CRT for next to nothing on eBay. I bought a 21" sony for $139 (not a nasty old workstation one either - the bezel is silver so it would kinda match a g5). With shipping it was till under $200, and if you're goign to be spending over a grand on a new LCD, the $200 is puppy chow. A 19" or 17" would be even less and the shipping would be less also. A lot of people think the LCD's are goign to go alum., and that would look way better in the long run.
  5. i_wolf macrumors regular

    Jul 17, 2002
    the only thing is i reckon that if they ship newer powermac's before christmas or even january they will piss off a LOT of apple customers. Im sure that they do not want to do that. There are still people waiting for their Dual 2GHz that ordered at the end of August... my uncle for one.... they only really began shipping in mid to end september or so im told. By january they will not have been on "sale" (to be interpreted ... that you can order it and it will be built there and then for quick shipment) for the usual 6 month cycle.
    I would imagine that it would be closer to March before a G5 update in powermac's????
    Anyone else??
    Or do you reckon that apple will have a small bump before christmas .... maybe re introduce an "ultimate" model more expensive than the "fastest" model that is there currently. The "ultimate" could be dual 2.2/ 2.5 ??
    Any thoughts???
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
  7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Don't only lok towards apple for your screen.
    There are plenty of other manufactures with equally as good products at a fraction of the cost.

    And never discount the good old CRT. LCD's have gotten better but a 100Hz Flat screen CRT has no equal, except maybe Plasma.
  8. iJon macrumors 604


    Feb 7, 2002
    i dont think apple will be updating the g5's anytime soon. with g5's being so fast and selling well now, i think apple will stick it out and update them in june or july, abour a year after they introduced it. thats just my guess though. the only sucky thing about the g5 is that if apple does update them soon, its gonna be one hell of a speed bump, not like the sissy jumps with the g4.


Share This Page