Buying a iPhone 4S off craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Eden, Dec 5, 2011.

1. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

Hello all,
    I'm buying a brand new white iPhone 4S off craigslist that is brand new sealed and locked to rogers. The thing that I might be scared of is that it might be stolen due to the fact that they seller does not have a receipt.
    Would it be okay to enter in the serial number in Apples warranty page and see if the warranty is valid? From what I was told, the warranty starts right when the genius scans it. If the warranty appears, does that mean it is not stolen?
    I've searched the forums and have come up with nothing for brand new iPhones being stolen.
    Any other signs to make sure it is not stolen? I would not like to get my hands on a hot iPhone..

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You should be safe doing that. I would also call rogers and ask them about it. They should also be able to tell you. That is what I did when I bought an iPhone 4 used (though it was for verizon, but same difference).

3. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Do you have a Rogers storefront close? I'd meet this seller at the store and have them activate it for you before finishing the transaction..

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have no idea idea if the genius scan method is how the warranty starts. Phones bought outside apple stores aren't scanned at all by a genius. Maybe it tracks it via its serial number or UDID when it gets activated. Information maybe forwarded to Apple. OR, as soon as you purchase it because the assumption is you will activate it immediately.

Now, to figure out if it's stolen, you can try the warranty lookup method. If its there, then it may be legit. Or, maybe it was stolen after the fact, then you can find out by activating it. Just put in YOUR sim card since the one in there will correspond to whomever paid for it. If you have a problem with activation, then it's stolen, if not then it's legit. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

5. andyx3x macrumors 65816

+1

This is the only way to deal with iPhones bought off of Craigslist. Have them activated in the store and don't turn over any money until it's done.