Buying a JB Plus of Craigslist- What should I be worried about?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadgetfreaky, Sep 28, 2016.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

1- he has a receipt- shows full price paid on Verizon (Im on att so want to make sure it's unlocked)
    2. 1k cash meeting in a bank
    3. box is unopened in original packaging

that's only a 50 buck premium so frankly im worried its a scam or I can get screwed somehow

what am I missing??

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Apple care?

3. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

If it's TGTBT then it usually is. Follow your instinct.

4. coney718 macrumors regular

Make sure you open it and test it thoroughly. Put in your sim card make sure its compatible. Make sure there's no iclould lock on it. Swipe through everything. Test the camera, speakers, everything. If he tries to hurry you along then that's a red flag. If its really legit he wont mind waiting for you to go through everything. Even though its unopened you'd be surprised how many ppl try to sell defective/stolen items just resealed.

5. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

There might people who won't allow them to open....but since it was from Verizon maybe the buyer could verify the box and receipt? But yeah..I would ask the seller to open it.

6. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

The minute he opened it tho it devalues
    Isn't that a bit much? If i have the recipet and the box is unopened And the recipept shows full price is paid??

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Meet at Verizon store, have a rep run the serial to ensure it is "whitelisted", not stolen aka clean IMEI or on a payment plan.

They will check it even if you are on AT&T. If it is good on their system, you'll have no issues for sure on AT&T.

8. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are imei website checkers - I can do that from the number on the outside of the box

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Good luck then.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

You don't know the box is unopened. All you know is it's shrink-wrapped. Lots of people have access to shrink-wrap machines.

Do you know the receipt is real? Is it a sheet of paper or a thermal roll?

Your danger is either there's no phone in box or the phone in the box was bought on a payment plan which the seller won't continue with.

Or it could be legit. It's possible.

If you hand over money without having opened the box and verified the phone is fully functional and matches the receipt, you're being foolish.

11. noobinator macrumors 601

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Won't do a thing if he has it on a payment plan (faked receipt) and stops making payments. It'll check out good today then get black flagged in a few weeks.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

7/7 Plus are no longer shrink wrapped. They have that plastic on them that is typically on the phone that bends and releases at the edges. I'm saying that wrong, but it's not shrink wrapped. But your point stands, they could re-wrap it somehow. But be on the lookout for the "new" wrapping.

14. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah maybe I put the cash on the table and have him pop in the sim

1000 is just too cheap

15. Juarez7514 macrumors member

I've had this happen on an iPad Air when they came out. iPad Air I was selling was sealed. Buyer wanted to open it to make sure it was there before giving me the cash. My mistake. Once he opened it, he tried haggling down the price we agreed upon. I said no. So he didn't want it anymore. I was so pissed.

16. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly

17. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

If you can, verify the receipt and obtain his contact information if possible. Also, having a bill of sale for the transaction is helpful as well.

18. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Then go ahead. You're the one buying it.

19. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If it sounds too good to be true then guess what...

20. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

You know how easy it is to shrink wrap a boxed item? When I worked at Microcenter years upon years ago we had a customer, that we never caught, that would buy Apple accessories and then return the box full of carefully place and glued rocks and shrink wrapped. The jerk got us for more than a few wireless keyboards and trackpads.

I don't think there is any extra value to "unopened" here. If the seller won't let you open it and go through the activation process far enough to see if it's already linked to an account, walk away. If he pressures you at all, walk away.
    I mean, unless he's looking to make an extra $50 bucks there is no reason he can't just return it and get his money back.

21. csmith1289 macrumors member

csmith1289

He can always say it's stolen after he sells it to you... then it would be blacklisted.

22. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Order one and wait. Do you need it now? What's worse, waiting on your order or, worrying that you're getting taken for $1K?

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

The plastic film surrounding the box on my iphone7 ordered from AT&T and delivered to my door sure looked and felt and acted like shrinkwrap. Fairly substantial, but shrinkwrap. Not at all what you described.

24. noobinator macrumors 601

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, that's basically the thing.

Another thought - I wouldn't be at all surprised if shortly before you were to meet at the bank you got a call/text claiming car trouble and changing the meeting location to somewhere substantially less safe.

Clearly something about this deal has you spooked. Intuition is usually a smart thing to follow.