Resolved Buying a Mac. Always wanted one but don't need one currently. Advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheSuperSteve, Jul 4, 2011.

1. TheSuperSteve, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Greetings.

I currently own two PCs. I have a 9 year old (I think) Dell Dimension 8300 with Linux installed (Xubuntu 11.04) and for the longest time, i used Windows XP on it but as it got older it became more unstable. To the point where i had to install some flavor of Linux on it as Windows always blue-screened even after several reinstalls.

Eventually i began to look for a new PC. Being a happy owner of two iPod touches (2G and 4G) and an iPad (the first) i decided that a Mac was the most obvious upgrade for my computer. I ended up buying an HP Pavillion p6710f. I originally wanted a Mac Mini but i was convinced by several family members that an HP computer (with Windows 7) was faster and more useful than a Mac Mini.

I regretted that decision as i found myself calling tech support for the first time in just a month of using that computer. The Wi-Fi didnt work. After several calls and several Wi-Fi card replacements, i had to fix it myself. The tech support in neither of the calls ever told me that there is a cable that hooks onto the card. I had to look for pictures of the motherboard and i realized the problem and fixed it myself.

Now my family has offered to help pay for half of a Mac of my choice (Within reason, we're not rich) since i'm just a college student. They know i'm a fan of Apple, hence the offer. I honestly have no need for such a computer other than "I want a Mac". I have some extra cash to spend and my family's offer is too kind. But i question my sanity, do i really need another computer?

I decided on a 13' Macbook Pro as i already have several desktop computers. It would be helpful if i took it to college (But i wont. That shiny Apple logo attracts thieves).

My computer needs are: YouTube, Twitter, Web Surfing, casual gaming (Not much of a gamer), writing essays, iTunes (for iOS devices), instant messaging, light photo editing, video chatting.

A Macbook Pro might be overkill for these needs, but i don't like the idea of buying something underpowered when i don't have to. Again, i have no need for such a computer as i can already do these on the HP computer.

The question is: Should i accept the offer? I've wanted a Mac for so long but i'm confused. I dont really need one but i want one so bad. I'm in the process of realizing they're just computers and i'm trying to justify such an expense.

I think Macs are beautiful, the OS is extremely slick and fancy and i like that kind of thing. I like workspaces from Linux and obviously OS X has that. I think Mac applications tend to look just as beautiful other than Windows/Linux boring box like applications. I've wanted a Mac for a long long time.

What do you think? Would you accept the offer? What Mac would you buy? Or rather what computer would you buy if not a Mac?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Alienware M11x, even if the third revision has the worst display of the lot. If you do not need it though do not buy it.

Then again I am not someone that feels a sense of fulfillment through consumerism or materialism.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you were footing the entire bill, a simple MacBook would be more than sufficient for the use you described. If someone else were paying for half, I would choose the 15" MacBook Pro. I like the bigger screen.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That would at least require a Macbook update. Even better, wait until it is refurbished or on sale at Microcenter. Though you can get the 13" MacBook Pro for $999 at Microcenter right now. The display resolution is still 1280 x 800. It is not 2003 anymore Apple...

5. TheSuperSteve, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed, i'm thinking on passing on it. I've wanted one for a long time so the temptation of almost having one is really confusing me.

I'm a techy guy that enjoys fancy new toys. Which is why i'm debating this since while new "toys" are nice and all, its not worth the trouble if it isn't necessary.

I'm aiming for the 13" because its cheaper and the size seemed just right when i played with one on Best Buy (We dont have Apple Stores where i live, unfortunately). Not too big and not too small. But you're right, the white Macbook looks nice as well, but i find its specs to be too low and i'm afraid it'll be dated within a year. So i always aim for something a bit beefier when buying a computer.

[Edit]: This offer from my family is meant as a birthday present if it matters at all.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I think everyone goes through this when they see something that's really good (like a Mac), but is high in price. You want it, but it hurts to pay so much for something you don't need and just want.

My opinion is, if you want it, get it. You can't go wrong having a Mac even if it's an extra computer.

I buy a lot of stuff from iTunes, not because I need it, but because I want it.

I sometimes even find reasons to buy something on iTunes because I love downloading stuff.

I think it all comes down to whether you can hold off on it or whether you're so excited you have to have it. If it's the former, just wait until your computer crashes. If it's the latter, just buy it.

7. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah you're right. I think i've decided to go for it. I asked around a Linux community (Good people over there too, by the way) and they've pretty much repeated what you just posted. I got the extra cash. This is a unique opportunity and i've worked hard for it. A reward every now and then doesnt hurt and i do have legitimate uses for a laptop.

Plus, i wont break my wallet buying it. So its not like i cant afford it. Thanks again for the insight. I'll mark this thread as resolved.