Buying a MacBookPro - 5400rpm or 7200rpm? Apple or OEM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by obelix, Dec 20, 2007.

1. obelix macrumors member

Ok looking at my options here. I know that a 7200RPM drive has performance benefits, and power consumption losses - but I think I need the performance of a 7200rpm drive unless it's not noticeable.

The next thing is that is it better to buy the Apple 7200RPM drive at time of purchase, or just buy one from Seagate on my own? Does anyone know of a really high performance 7200rpm drive that you can stick in these things? Say with 16mb cache?

2. obelix thread starter macrumors member

If I was to buy OEM this is the drive I am looking at:
    Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 16mb cache

Unless someone of course has a better suggestion? What does Apple even include in their 7200rpm drive. Specs are nowhere to be seen.

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I thought that, but now that I actually have one I notice a difference.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It makes a difference if little waits bug you. In the grand scheme of things (rendering a movie, playing a game) it will help a tiny bit but not noticeably. However, in small time stuff (opening firefox, mail, etc) it makes it way more snappy and moving files is also faster.

The value is based on if you can tolerate the small slowdowns or not.

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

My Apple 200Gig, 7200 is Hitachi

Model HTS722020K9SA00

Excellent drive and WELL WORTH the APPLE Bump -- approx $200.

Yes, I know I could have done a bit better myself. Certainly. I did with RAM: 4gig for $89.00. Nice.

But the Drive, no let Apple have the $100. Here's why. I got a three year Applecare program on that drive. I have no issues that I swapped it out, etc. RAM sure. But with Apple way it is these days, in this area, I'll pay extra, happily.

Well, and then there's this: http://www.barefeats.com/hard96.html

Yep, my Apple supplied drive is a muscular performer for sure. Fast Fast Fast.

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

See my post above.

That Momentus is great, by my Apple supplied Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 (HTS722020K9SA00) beats it by a bit.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard96.html

Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 (HTS722020K9SA00).

Worth the money to have Apple put in. For sure. Full warranty, 3 with Apple Care. No hassles. Fast. Fast Fast.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Get the 7200rpm drive! Can't be more satisfied with a laptop that has decent hard drive...

8. mikesjo macrumors regular

If you bought the Seagate from somewhere else, would an Apple authorized dealer install it for you? The Seagates have 5 yr warranties!

9. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I would just get whatever HD option you can get from Apple since it will be the easiest and best solution. Apple doesn't make their own HDs, and they generally use great HDs in their MBPs (I have a 7200 RPM Hitachi which is the fastest of the bunch).

If you go the route of buying a cheaper, slower drive and then want to install one afterwards, you're going to either have to deal with taking apart the laptop which is fairly hard on the MBP or you'll have to pay to have an authorized repair center to upgrade the drive. I would just get a 200GB, 7200 RPM drive and be happy with that.