Buying a MBP 13 tomorrow, should I wait to the rummored MBP line updates?

mgnayim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
15
0
I intended to purchase a High-end MacBook Pro 13 tomorrow,
but the rumors claim that Macbook pro line will be upgraded soon;basically with the Arrandale quad-core processors.

my question is:
will the 13 inch model get an Arrandale or any serious update that worth to wait for?
and when its gonna happen?

because if the MBP 13 had an upgrade after I purchased , I will be pissed-off.
 

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
458
0
Belfast, UK
I was going to wait myself, but last night decided to go for a refurb 2.53GHz 13" instead. The £300 saving is fine, and the machine will be more than adequate for what I'm going (my signature shows what I'm using currently). Got the refurb for £999, plus I added one of the hard cases to the order. Decided to go for it now, before VAT goes up on 1/1/10.

The SSD from the Mini will be going in the MacBook Pro, the 250GB drive from the laptop will be going in the Mac Mini, and both the netbook and the Mac Mini will be sold to fund the MacBook Pro.
 

CD3660

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2007
3,534
353
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I was going to wait myself, but last night decided to go for a refurb 2.53GHz 13" instead. The £300 saving is fine, and the machine will be more than adequate for what I'm going (my signature shows what I'm using currently). Got the refurb for £999, plus I added one of the hard cases to the order. Decided to go for it now, before VAT goes up on 1/1/10.
I'm waiting for the upgrade, which I'm guessing will come by mid-January at the latest, regardless of the VAT situation.

Your VAT saving (assuming Apples passes on the impending increase) was a mere £21.72.
 

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
195
0
if u need one now, then buy one now....

I think the current MBP's 13 inch are very good spec wise, and will be able to keep up with the new ones. there isn't really much that apple can improve in the current Pro lineup, I think these are the best Pro's ever :D
 

rikesh

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2009
27
0
...there isn't really much that apple can improve in the current Pro lineup, I think these are the best Pro's ever :D
I've actually joined this forum today just to point out how ridiculous this comment is.

No room for expansion, then? Technology reached its highest point, has it?
 

22hand

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2009
34
0
I was going to wait myself, but last night decided to go for a refurb 2.53GHz 13" instead. The £300 saving is fine, and the machine will be more than adequate for what I'm going (my signature shows what I'm using currently). Got the refurb for £999, plus I added one of the hard cases to the order. Decided to go for it now, before VAT goes up on 1/1/10.

The SSD from the Mini will be going in the MacBook Pro, the 250GB drive from the laptop will be going in the Mac Mini, and both the netbook and the Mac Mini will be sold to fund the MacBook Pro.
same here, just got a refurb same spec as yours, i can use it now before any new model pops up (then I can sell it as used one...)
 

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
19,264
30
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
my question is:
will the 13 inch model get an Arrandale or any serious update that worth to wait for?
Depends on what you use your machine for. If you are just checking your email, then no.

and when its gonna happen?
Maybe late January but nobody really knows for sure.

because if the MBP 13 had an upgrade after I purchased , I will be pissed-off.
Unless you're unhappy with your purchase I don't understand this logic. It's not as if an update makes your machine less functional. If you really can't stand the possibility of your machine being "outdated" the day after you buy it then why even ask if you should buy or wait?
 

Spandexman

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
124
0
I've actually joined this forum today just to point out how ridiculous this comment is.

No room for expansion, then? Technology reached its highest point, has it?
I think what he meant was the there's not much they could do at the moment to improve them. Considering the size restrictions, I think he's mostly right, though discrete graphics card and Blu ray would be nice...

Also, just to clarify for the OP, Arrandale is DUAL-core, not QUAD-core.

I'm waiting until after the updates because my computer's still chugging along nicely, though it's nearing the end of its life. Battery dying, slowing down, maxing out it's harddrive, and 1 Gb of RAM looking a little lightweight. Also, it's likely the last update before I graduate from University, so the last time I can get a sizable student discount! Consequently it makes sense to buy the most up to date computer while I can get a discount, which will hopefully last me longer that way without feeling outmoded. However, if my computer dies before the updates, I 'm going to have to suck it up and buy then. People are positing a 10% increase in speed, and 10% saving on battery life, which I would class as a significant increase, but lots of people don't.

I hope that aimless ramble helped in some way.
 

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
835
197
I always buy right after an update so that I don't feel bad at all when they get updated in the future... I would wait. There is nothing better than anticipation! lol
 

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
458
0
Belfast, UK
Well it's 533MHz faster than my Mini, plus I can carry it around (due to personal circumstance change I'm rarely at home so the Mini is sat 6 days a week unused).

As for speed, well it'll be fine, I'm mostly using a 1.6GHz Atom-powered 1GB Dell Mini 10v running Snow Leopard during the week.

Yes, I could have waited for the new machines, but I'm more than happy with what I got for the price I got it at.
 

napawino

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
8
0
Buy now. The waiting thing is a never ending cycle.

The current one is excellent. The new will will surely be.... and so will the one after that. And the one after that........
 

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
2,358
1,417
...

I highly doubt the 13" will get many additions...maybe a slight speed and HDD bump. Other than that the 17" will probobly get a arrandale etc etc. The 13" already has more features than the standard macbook and the price is barely higher so they are not going to be upgrading the 13" MBP much at all, like I said probobly a 250gig hdd or maybe 320 and mabe 2.53ghz in the base instead of 2.26 but still the core 2 duo that is in there now
 

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
6,393
0
It's a possibility that Apple won't touch the MBP's until February and possibly even March. Apple hasn't done much the Mac Pros and it's time for them to focus on that. Too many people are geared only towards the notebooks while ignoring that Apple has other hardware that hasn't been updated in a long time. I would say if the OP was buying tomorrow, go for it. If we knew for a fact that Apple was hosting a special event for a new product come Monday then I would wait.
 

gilljoy

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
42
0
I highly doubt the 13" will get many additions...maybe a slight speed and HDD bump. Other than that the 17" will probobly get a arrandale etc etc. The 13" already has more features than the standard macbook and the price is barely higher so they are not going to be upgrading the 13" MBP much at all, like I said probobly a 250gig hdd or maybe 320 and mabe 2.53ghz in the base instead of 2.26 but still the core 2 duo that is in there now
in the uk the mbp has worse specs than the unibody mb and costs more

yes you get light up keyboard and a firewire and sd slot

but the MB has 250gb and the 13" MBP as 160 i think

so it costs more and has worse specs
 

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
6,393
0
in the uk the mbp has worse specs than the unibody mb and costs more

yes you get light up keyboard and a firewire and sd slot

but the MB has 250gb and the 13" MBP as 160 i think

so it costs more and has worse specs
That's not dedicated to the UK only. That MB is the same for every country Apple sells it in. You can easily switch out a hard drive, I would hardly call that "worse specs" just because the MBP has a smaller hard drive. The MBP also has firewire 800, an SD slot, a better screen with ambient light sensor and takes up 8GB ram. The MB doesn't offer any of this.
 

gilljoy

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
42
0
That's not dedicated to the UK only. That MB is the same for every country Apple sells it in. You can easily switch out a hard drive, I would hardly call that "worse specs" just because the MBP has a smaller hard drive. The MBP also has firewire 800, an SD slot, a better screen with ambient light sensor and takes up 8GB ram. The MB doesn't offer any of this.
yes but for the average joe user the 13" MBP isnt good value for money.

I think its mainly due to the MB getting a refresh lately and coming into line with the 13" MBP, i think we'll see a bit of a refresh soon mayb a speedbump just
 

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
1,854
64
Millis, Massachusetts
I own the current 13" macbookpro and it is a swell machine. But if I was you I would wait. Within the next 60 days there is a very high percentage that we will see updated mbps. I don't know what their specs will be but if you buy one now you might regret it in several weeks. If you don't like the new ones you should be able to pick up today's current model at a reduced price because it will get bumped to old inventory.
 

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
2,358
1,417
...

The MacBook pro 13 is barelr more expensive and has sd card illuminated keyboard aluminum construction light sensor better screen. Definately worth the money. The update will be very minimal to the 13 I am sure. They will probobly give the bigger pros a better increase and just bump the hdd and speed. Next revision after that will be USB 3.0 which will be worth the update
 

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
1,054
162
Brooklyn
Wait if you want better, buy now if you need it now.

It's that simple.

I still see it as a piece of crap. $1200 machine with no expresscard or PCMCIA. No expansion. A "pro" machine forced to use consumer hardware due to lack of professional peripheral connectivity.
 

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
1,511
67
Also, just to clarify for the OP, Arrandale is DUAL-core, not QUAD-core.
Dual core with hyperthreading so two physical and two virtual cores. The two virtual cores don't interest me much though.

I would expect new MBP's in Jan. Expect slight upgrades in all models.