Buying a MBP as a gift from the UK for someone in the US

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abg5043, Jul 27, 2010.

1. abg5043 macrumors newbie

My son is in the US right now, and I wanted to get him a macbook pro for his birthday but apple won't let me use my credit card from the UK to ship it to the US. What should I do? I thought about buying a gift card for the UK shop and then just telling him the number. Any ideas how to do this?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Apple products are generally cheaper in the US. Can you transfer the money to his bank account? Then he can buy one there.

3. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I bought my MBP 17 at the Oxmoore Apple Shop in Louisville using my UK HSBC Visa debit card.

Online I added my US address to my bank account, and since then almost all the online stores accept my UK Visa card.

As mentioned above, the prices are considerably better in the US for this type of thing, so it will be best for you to work out a way to make the purchase in the US - The online Apple Stores offer free shipping.

Another good reason to buy it in the US would be that he less likely to have problems in the event of needing after sales support.

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

Get it in the US, it's cheaper to begin with and you won't have problems with the power cord format. If you buy in the UK you won't be able to get the VAT back b/c you're a resident and if you bring it into the US new in box it might attract customs attention and fees.

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Call the bank. Add your sons US address and phone number to your card as additional shipping address. This "should" correct your issue.

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Don't know of this would work though. I remember trying to buy, while living in the US, a macbook with a credit card not issued in the US, and the problem is that when you're giving your card details it won't let you select any country, it just comes as default for the US. Additionally, cards from other countries don't let you have a billing address that's not in their country, at least that's what I think.

Getting back to the OP, i think Xenophon's post is the way to go, you'll pay cheaper here and you'll have the right plug without having to buy anything else, and customs won't be looking at a new shiny macbook pro box.

If this is impossible and you can't send your son the funds so he can buy it himself, then I don't know. I don't know how the gift card would work.