Buying a MBP then upgrading to Leopard VS. Buying a MBP that comes with Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grvtydefy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. grvtydefy macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this question is really stupid or has been asked a million times, I used the search tool, and though I found a lot about buying vs. waiting, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So apologies in advance.

My question is, if I buy a MacBook Pro now and then upgrade to Leopard when it comes out (I'm a student, so I think that makes sense financially with the special offers and stuff), will the computer perform just as efficiently as a MacBook Pro that came with Leopard installed? Or will it be noticeably slower/ unable to handle certain aspects, etc? From my poking around the forums it looks like no significant update to the MBP is expected soon, so does that mean that an upgraded-to-Leopard MBP and a came-with-Leopard MBP will be essentially the same computer?

Thanks!

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

There will be no difference, unless they release a speed bumped MBP. And even if that happens, it might only be a 2.6GHz processor, so the net affect to the average user will be zilch.

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It should run fine. I tend to wait on OS upgrades because it can take awhile for some third party developers to catch up and it allows for the kinks to be worked out.

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

The upgrade shouldn't do anything to performance. Now, a windows upgrade is a whole different thing entirely.....

I would only wait if the $$$savings from the OS is worth it.

5. jcoop macrumors member

I tend to agree with MacHipser. Until the inevitable kinks in Leopard are worked out, the ability to run Tiger will be a positive, not a negative.

FWIW, I went through the same decisionmaking process last month--and took delivery of my new MBP today. I figure I'll stay with Tiger until some time around 10.5.3.