Buying a new 15" MBP. Need help concerning capacity of SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goride, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Goride macrumors newbie

I am going to be purchasing a new 15" MBP shortly. It will be my first Mac . I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, I would like to get an SSD. I plan on setting up a NAS with around 2TB of storage. This will house all my large movie files, other media, and pretty much everything that takes up large amounts of space. Other than the OS and application files, of course.

I plan on having OSX as well as Windows7 via VMWare/Parallels. I also will have MS Office, a few other choice applications, and 1-3 games such as League of Legends installed. While I will have the NAS for media files, I will need to have a portion of the music locally on the laptop, for when I am away from home. It would also be nice to be able to put a few movies on it as well for long trips. (for instance I'm going on a 10 hour flight in a month).

So my question is, how much space does OSX, Windows7, MS Office for Mac, etc. take up? How much space would you estimate I would need?

I was thinking about going with the 128gb option from Apple. However, since I don't really do much video editing or any other real CPU intensive things (other than play games, but that is limited more by the GPU than the CPU) I'm thinking the 2.4ghz i5 will be fine. With that option Apple's 128gb SSD is $270.

For that price, I figure I'll just order one from Newegg. I see people recommending the Intel X-25m G2 all over the forums. However, that is over $400 for the 160gb. The price is reasonable for their 80gb version (about $220). But I am uncertain if 80gb will be enough. Given what I listed, do you think I'll fit on 80gb? Or should I go with another option that is around the 128gb mark. I'd prefer to stay within $200-$280 range, and I see there is an OCZ and Crucial one within those ranges, and they seem to have decent reviews. Any thoughts? I have no idea how much space OSX takes up, nor do I know how much space I'll typically need for applications on OSX.

(note: for those who are unfamiliar with NAS, it is an external storage, and you can download files directly to it, as well as stream data like movies, without touching the SSD).

Side Note: I also have questions about NAS solutions. I am trying to decide between a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and a Synology DS210j. I'm also open to other suggestions. If you know anything about NAS solutions I have another post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=938323 . I would love any advice on that as well. I haven't got any responses yet

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you considered OptiBay solution? 128GB is pretty neat for two OSs and for games. Most games require at least 10GB to be installed. Not sure how much OS X takes but I would guess ~10GB and W7 takes at least 10GB so that's 20GB already. Add few games, some apps, etc and your 128GB is full. Also, your SSD will become slower if you fill it too much so getting 128GB and then having it full is the worst option, you should have at least 10GB free space, the more the better.

By replacing SuperDrive with a HD, you can have OS X and apps in SSD and other stuff in HD

3. sadcamper macrumors regular

This is what I'd like to do...I just can't fathom paying the price for a high capacity ssd at this point, so this is the next best option imo.

Link to Optibay: http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

...there are other similar products for less $$ if you do a forum search.

4. Goride thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the "other stuff" would be on the NAS. Keeping the OSes and applications on the SSD. The only thing would be the music and movie files when I am traveling without internet access.

I can access stuff on the NAS from anywhere there is a wifi connection.

I thought about the optibay solution, and just caried all that data around with me, but the vast majority of the time, I'll have access to the internet, so I'll have access to any of the data on the NAS.

This also allows any videos, music, or other media to be accessed by my girlfriend to be watched or listen to via the PS3 or her laptop while I am away.

Overall the NAS is a better solution than optibay. (at least for me).

I was thinking about getting an intel x-25m g2 80gb SSD. But I think that will be too small now. Maybe I'll just go with the Apple SSD (toshiba). I hate the idea of paying $270 extra for it though. (plus losing the 320gb HDD). When there are crucial 120gb drives on new egg for like $250, and I'd get to keep the HDD. But I haven't heard the best news in regards to those drives.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have about 80GB of my HD full, maybe a bit more, including my win7 stuff and music/media/whatever, so an 80-128GB should be plenty for your os/apps drive, if you are using NAS.