Buying a new 3G iphone if you already have an old one? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zebexo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Zebexo macrumors newbie

Lets say as of this week I borrow a friends OLD 2g iphone and put my sim in it and activate it with a new 2year contract will that allow me to be upgrade eligible for the new 3g? or is it too late? I need serious help because I dont want to sign a whole new 2 year and I cant upgrade. That would suck :(

EDIT: I meant if I borrow a friends OLD 2g iphone (the original silver back) and hook it up via itunes and accept the new 2 year contract will that allow me to be upgrade eligible for the discount price for the NEW 3G iphone? i do not own the new 3g...

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you have the old iPhone you can easily upgrade for the 199/299 price if you sign a contract.

Or do you mean you already have an iPhone 3G? Your title is kind of misleading.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Why would you do that.

You need to purchase the 3G with a 2 year contract, thats why you get the discount rate on the phone.

If you already signed up for a 2 year, you gotta wait at least a year before you are eligible for an upgrade.

4. Zebexo thread starter macrumors newbie

My mistake...I meant if I borrow a friends OLD 2g iphone (the original silver back) and hook it up via itunes and accept the new 2 year contract will that allow me to be upgrade eligible for the discount price for the NEW 3G iphone?

I dont wont to try it and it not work after I just signed a new two year online. So im curious if thats still a loop hole to use or was it only possible before launch of the 3g iphone? Hope that made it clearer

I already have an ATT btw and not eligible for an upgrade till February. So i heard owning the old 2g iphone allows you for a free discounted upgrade.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why not just buy a 2G?

But, I'm pretty sure if you put your SIM into your friends iPhone and activate it, you will be eligible to upgrade. There is really nothing to lose so just try it.

6. Zebexo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah there is something to lose, if im not mistake you have to sign up for a new 2 year and I dont want to do that for it not to work. Also I dont want the 2g, I want the 3g.

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

No, allowing customers with the 2.5G iPhone "upgrade" to the 3G iPhone by "canceling" their contract and starting a new one ended in late August. Just wait until you can get the 3G and use the original as an iPod touch and play around with it for a while.

That's what she said ;)