Buying a new 6 outright - process for swapping phone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean Dempsey, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I want to buy a 6 outright, for AT&T. I have a 5s, and I have a plan, but I just want to buy my phone and not worry about the contract or upgrade, etc etc.

There are 6's available at Best Buy (which is funny since the Apple Stores around here in Palo Alto are sold out). If i just walk in, buy it, what is the process for switching?

Can I just open it, swap the sim cards, and do a restore from my iCloud backup of my 5s? Or would I have to do some tomfoolery with the sim-card that comes with the 6 with AT&T regardless of the non-upgrade status.

I've always done an upgrade, but this time I just want to buy the phone.

Ideas?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

in your case yes the 5s sim card is the same as the 6 just swap them

its up to you if you want to backup the 5s and restore it to the 6 that will work and setting it up as a new phone works also

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Interesting. I suppose I will do that then. Every time I get a new phone with AT&T, its like they aggressively try to change my plan, remove my personal hotspot, change the monthly charge, or some other ********. I have zero faith in them being able to do their job.

And that AT&T "Next" upgrade payment plan, my god. Are people still falling for that "rent to own" scam?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

in Canada the carriers are the same, they use to be good if you signed a 3 year contract you could keep your current plan and get the phone for cheap

the government put in place a bunch of laws that prevented the cell carriers to rip everyone off with service fees, high roaming charges etc and put caps on overages and made contracts no longer than 2 years

so now Carriers all raised their contract prices and make you change your plan if you still want contact price phone, this year was my first time buying the phone outright