Buying a new Apple TV - Can I jailbreak it when I get home?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MeTHoD-X, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MeTHoD-X macrumors newbie

I'm going to pick up a new Apple TV from my local Apple store and was wondering if I'd be able to jailbreak it. I'm assuming it'll have the latest software installed thus blocking a jailbreak.

Advice welcome! :)

2. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Sorry, there is no jailbreak for the current apple TV. You'd have to pick up an Apple TV 2 if you wanted to jailbreak.

3. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I'm sure it'll get around eventually, though. The ATV is pretty good out of the box, too (never felt compelled to jailbreak it, but then again I haven't felt that way about any of my iDevices). If you're set on jailbreaking, you can always get it now, enjoy it for what it is, and then jailbreak it when a patch becomes available.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

Do not buy it unless it's functionality current meets your needs. You may never see a JB of the aTV3. It is proving particularly difficult to JB and not even sure anyone is working on a JB of it anymore.

5. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Only the ATV2 can be jailbroken, and Apple stopped selling ATV2's over a year ago. They have been selling ATV3's for over a year, and ever since then the hacker community has been trying (and failing) to jailbreak it.

If you have your heart set on jailbreaking, you will need an ATV2. They are selling on ebay for $200+ nowadays.