Buying a new camera (up to around £300) - help needed please! :)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jackboddy, Jun 10, 2012.

1. jackboddy macrumors newbie

Hi guys, how you doing? :)

I'm looking at buying a new digital compact camera, up to about the £300 range, so I'm looking for quite a high-performance camera as far as compacts can go, without delving into any kind of SLR camera.

Currently, I'm looking at Sony Cybershot HX9V, 10V or 20V, just due to a personal preference for Sony, I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience in these cameras, or any opinion as to whether the newer models (10v or 20v) were worth paying more for?

Also, if anyone has any experience of any other cameras in a similar price range? Panasonic or Canon seem to offer some good options?

Thanks! :D

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

4. jackboddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the quick responses! :)

The only thing with the NEX series, is the size with the lens attached, and prices for other lenses could maybe add up? I have read very good reviews for them though, so definitely one to look for, thanks for finding the link at a reasonable price as well!

Have you both got experience with the NEX series then? They do look very good cameras!

This is going to be my first "serious" camera really, previously just using cheaper Sony T2 style cameras, so I imagine anything really is going to be a good step up!! :D

5. iTiki macrumors 6502

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The fixed focal length lenses are a lot more pocket friendly. One of the advantages of this camera over regular compact's is you can upgrade lenses if you find you want more from it later.

I haven't used a NEX beyond looking at them in Jessops, but I have been seriously consdiering one as a possible replacement for my Nikon DSLR. I've read a bunch of reviews and NEX seems to be the best of the bunch for this class of camera.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd get a micro 4/3 camera over NEX every day of the week. Smaller, lighter, better lenses and a wider choice of lenses (ignore the insanely expensive Zeiss 24mm) and pretty much the same image quality (well OK, m43 tends to have better corner sharpness).

8. jackboddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks iTiki, i've read good things about the new fujifilm cameras, so I'll have a look at the X10, looks a good camera.

Thanks Dave for the response, I can see what you mean about the NEX and the lenses, I'm going to head into my local Jessops today and have a look around in there, just to see if I can get a bit of a hands on with some of them.

Hi Robbie, thanks for the response. Am I correct to assume that the Micro 4/3 (Is that abbreviated as MFT?) cameras are limited to Panasonic? I've never had any experience in Panasonic, do you know of any specific cameras that are worth a look?

Thanks again everyone :D

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. Olympus are the other manufacturer. The top-dog camera is the Olympus OM-D E-M5. But this is way out of the price range. The Panasonic GX-1 is nice, although even that is going to be more than £300. The GF-3 can be had for less than £300 and will outperform pretty much any compact/point-and-shoot (excluding things like the Canon G1X which is again too expensive): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1339414673&sr=1-2&condition=new

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

My girlfriend has one of those NEX-3, image quality is actually really good. I'd suggest one of those too.

11. jackboddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Robbie, that Panasonic looks good, some of the 'As New' ones on Amazon seem very reasonable prices as well, thanks for the link. Definitely one to add to the list, still weighing up whether I'd prefer the smaller size of a camera without the larger lenses like the NEX or that Panasonic.

Thanks for the feedback Mulo, I went into my local Jessops today, and the woman in there was a massive fan of the NEX and the HX20V, but she was self-confessed to being a massive Sony fan, so she suggested her opinion may not be fair to other companies!

12. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I was on a tight budget and picked up a refurbished Olympus Pen e-pm1 for us $300. I love it's size and the images it produces. You can also pick up older epl1's for very little money, but the kit lens is especially slow to autofocus, but its image quality is very good. If I had had a bit more money I would have gone with the Panasonic G3 for its viewfinder and touchscreen.

I like the smaller interchangeable lens cameras. I'm much more likely to have it with me than I would a dslr and the image quality is very good.

13. jackboddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi BigRed, thanks for the response. After a quick google, you can get the Olympus at a very reasonable price over here in the UK as well, I also happen to have a friend who has one, so I'll be asking him for a quick go!! The Panasonic G3 looks a good camera as well, but it's almost £200 more than the Olympus, and £100 more than the Sony, so don't think I can justify paying that extra money either!! :)

14. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Do you want a compact or something you can change lenses?

If a compact what about a Lumix LX5?

I bought my partner an LX3 a few years ago (I've got a Nex and DSLR's) and it blew me away for a compact.

Thought it was one of the best small cameras I'd ever used. (My Nex 5n is better in that you can change the lens etc but it's a lot more expensive.)

15. senorgreg macrumors newbie

I am in an similar position as the OP. I have been going back and forth on the merits of an interchangeable lens camera such as the Nex C3 and a really good point and shoot. I am just trying to work out how important portability is.