buying a new drive for imac because i don't want to scratch my dvds?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by neonkru, Dec 4, 2009.

1. neonkru macrumors regular

So i had this new imac recently and i noticed that the superdrive scratches the dvds. i don't think i will be playing my original movies dvds on that scratchy drive, so i guess it's a good excuse to buy an external usb bluray drive so i can keep my dvds safe. what do you think? have you noticed this too? :D

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Not much point in getting a BluRay drive as it isn't going to read them. Might aswell just get a cheap DVD drive OR replace the drive in your Mac. If it's under warranty, go to your local store and ask them.

3. knewsom macrumors 6502a

I believe there are third-party solutions for blu-ray on Mac. I know that LaCie's external burner comes with software that will at least allow reading and writing of them. Watching them, I'm not sure.

4. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

for blu ray you have a thing called windows =) bluray are the future of movies=P

5. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

starting at 279. are you crazy? lol

just burned a dvd now. when i eject it had a triple scratch. maybe its because im not taking them out of the drive carefully enough? gonna try a few more times

6. Warbitrary macrumors regular

I've heard that the aluminium edges aroud the superdrive are very sharp, so if you don't align the disk perfectly while putting it in and out, it could scratch. I haven't been able to test this myself however.

7. neonkru thread starter macrumors regular

good idea. i just tried now without inserting completely to see if i got the scratches, and yap, you are right, aluminium is causing the scratch. i guess i have to be more careful. thank you for the tip