Buying a new mac - do I have to buy a new copy of iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iNickk, May 18, 2011.

1. iNickk macrumors member

Title explains it all. I'm planning to buy a new iMac and want to transfer stuff from my MacBook Pro. I don't think I have the original CD anymore..

2. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

If your buying a new mac to replace an old one and you have time machine, make a backup, then, when you get your new mac you will be able to set the new computer up very easily if you have iWork that will transfer over as its not tied to a particular computer, unlike Quark Xpress, iStudio Publisher etc if you have any software that is locked to your old computer then you will have to de-authorise it, iTunes should be de-authorised too before hand.
    If you do not hand time machine, but can get a copying software, such as Carbon Copy Cloner, you can copy your hard-drive and use that to set up your new Mac.
    ps. If you bought iWork as a download you should be able to copy it to a cd/DVD

Cheers, Macjim.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Connect the two Macs together Ethernet on the same network or directly together. Then launch /Application/Utilities/Migration Assistant and with the old Mac's password transfer all the data you want to your new Mac. Just make sure you have the latest builds of the applications that will run in 10.6.x.