Buying a new macbook alunimium with Spanish Keyboard. Can I change it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fred87nc, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Fred87nc macrumors member

I know that physically its going to cost and its going to be a tough mod job. but can I put the macbook in english and would I be able to make the keyboard use the english keyboard? like it will automatically change the keys around?

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

3. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

the most simple way would be to put a English keyboard in it, then change the layout to English

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can easily change the keyboard through OS X, but physically changing it would void your warranty as MysticMage said. My suggestion would be to buy a silicon skin with the English keys printed on it, change the layout in OS X, and don't worry about doing the physical mod.

5. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

I don't get it? What's the point of buying a macbook in Spanish if you want the English version?

6. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

LOL..

7. zorahk macrumors 6502

Depending upon the layout, it actually might not fit in the topcase.

For example, I don't believe the british english and american english keyboards are interchangeable for some reason.

8. gbalex macrumors newbie

I don't think that will be possible since the layouts have different sized keys, e.g., the return key. The perforations on the case will be different, hence incompatible.

You could always try to switch it in Mac OS, it's quite simple... Or just get used to the Spanish one, it's not that different, you know? It gives you the flexibility of being able to punctuate and spell correctly in Spanish... while retaining most (if not all) of the English layout functionality.

9. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Why and where did you buy a macbook with a spanish keyboard why not just get one with an english keyboard?

10. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

These are both the questions that went through my mind.

11. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response guys. I have a online job and needed a computer asap..I'm in Mexico and my computer got stolen...and I had to buy one while I'm here. Anyways I got used to the keys and everything even with the spanish physical keyboard I just memorize the english keys. The mac genius at the apple store here in mexico said its possible to change the whole case to an english keyboard but it would cost around 300 dollars here...maybe cheaper in the US.

12. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I swear with the old macbooks it was a case of popping the keys off and replacing them with new ones?

13. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

With the chiclet style keys that the unibody MB uses, I don't think this is possible.