Buying a new MBP, am I better to get the SSD from a third party?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnstonnorth, Feb 24, 2010.

1. johnstonnorth macrumors newbie

Like many others I'm waiting for the MacBook Pro update at which point I'm hoping to buy the 13" version to replace my tired MBA.

I'm very keen to get a SSD drive for the MBP. However, looking at the prices on the online Apple Store in the UK this will set me back at least £286.

It occurs to me that I'd be better off ordering the MBP with just the standard 250GB HD and buying a SSD (probably Intel or Vertex) from a third party and installing it myself.

This is likely to work out cheaper overall than buying it from Apple and I could always buy an additional external HD enclosure for the 250GB giving me a nice little backup drive as well.

Thus the net result in the MBP is the same but I am one 250GB drive better off.

I've done RAM and HD upgrades before so am happy with the technical side of things.

Are there any pitfalls or flaws in my logic?
    Are SSDs as easy to swap out as standard HDs?

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy from 3rd party. You get a lot faster SSD for lower price. Installing SSD is same as installing any HD, it uses the same SATA etc, no difference.

4. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Did you even read the original post? Should he go for the SSD from apple or from a third party?

I'd say if you're comfortable going in there and replacing it, get it from the third party.

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

6. ThrawnTHX macrumors member

This. I swapped in Intel G2 SSDs into both of my MBPs. Very easy. Just make sure you get the firmware updated.

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Firmware of the MBP or firmware of the drives?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Firmware of the drive(s)

9. johnstonnorth thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent.

It will be interesting to see what options come with the new MBPs but I'll probably do as I originally thought and get the SSD separately.

Thanks for all your advice.