Buying a non unibody core 2 17" macbook pro off ebay a bad idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, Feb 10, 2012.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I am thinking about buying one of the old non non unibody 17"s off ebay. I usually never would consider it, but I have heard great things about squaretrade. Its pretty much a hold over till the new summer model comes out. So I could just sell it while still under warranty. Its core 2 duo. I watch MKVs, use itunes heavily, and Use music production software. I think it will be more than enough for me. However it is like 4 or 5 years old at this point so I just wanted to get your ideas.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

If it has the 8600 nvidia graphics card, pass. I had that machine, the 8600 failed THREE times - each time Apple said the replacements won't fail. Lies.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

As the previous poster said: Stay away from 8600 M GPUs.

That being said, can I sue AppleNvidia for the lowered resale value of my 2008 non-unibody?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I wouldn't buy any machine that predates the unibody design at this point, but that's just me. The previous generation of machines suffered from the Nvidia 8600M issue, and the machines not too long before that with ATI graphics are just plain old now.

5. tums macrumors member

But this depends on what you plan on doing with the machine. The old Core2Duos still have a lot of life in them, still have a 2007 that gets daily use. We did have a 8600 go out in it but it has been going strong ever since.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You just validated my point.

7. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

Same here. I have a 2007 15" macbook pro. After replacing almost everything in it (new superdrive, new screen, a few graphics cards...) it runs really well for an old laptop. I've chosen to replace my old one for a late 2011 (can't wait until it comes in!) because i do a lot of heavy work. But for daily work it's a great device.

Although its graphical card may give you problems, keep in mind that other parts may cause problems too. But, if you think it's a bargain and it's just for a few months, you can always take the plunge. Or buy a newer version that is less likely to crash the next few months.

8. aaron580 macrumors member

Depending on what the service history is behind it I wouldn't be to scared of it. My early 2008 17" has never had a GPU failure and is still running strong daily. I love that laptop. But thats just me. Never had one thing go bad on it and never had apple care on it either.

9. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I wouldn't buy anything off of Ebay. Their heydey was in the middle 90's they are just yesterday's dishwater now.