Buying a Note, what to do about iMessage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodlover77, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Quick question.

I'm looking to buy a note on CL and was wondering what the best option is to do about imessage. I have ML running on my air and imessage running on my ipad. Because i used an iphone before and many of my friends use ios, when i used my lumia 800 i would miss alot of messages. Instead of going to my phone, they would go to my laptop or ipad, which would both be at home. With me maybe going to android for a couple weeks or so, i would like to avoid missing messages so what is the best option for me? Disable imessage on both laptop and ipad?

2. Bchagey macrumors 6502

3. Walter Bell macrumors regular

^actually it's quite old and stale. After 5 iPhones all pretty much looking and feeling the same, some of us might look elsewhere for something a little new and different.

To the OP, I think that's all you can do.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you are bored with it you can buy an interesting case or sell it. Don't condemn and entire platform because you want something new and different.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

What is "a note"? What is "CL"? What is "ML"?
    Edit: By "note" do you mean samsung note? Thought that was a fail... guess not

6. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

craigslist
    mountain lion

7. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Calling iOS old and stale is not condemning the whole platform. Calling the iPhone old and stale is not condemning the sole device that is responsible for the change in mobile technology as we have it today.

I don't even want apple to do away with the current 3.5" display, just give us an option to purchase something with a bigger screen. I want a better maps application. I want more intuitive and location based profile settings. I want LTE. I want file management. And I want Apple to do this because when they do, they do it right. But they aren't. So I'm packing up and jumping ship (like many other seasoned iPhone owners) until these things become available.

8. 0m3ga, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012

0m3ga macrumors 6502

I will respectfully point out that both Android and iOS app stores have an app called Poynt. I consider this one of the best at doing what even Siri lacks at times.

9. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Heard of that but never tried it. I will check it out, thanks

10. ipodlover77, Apr 1, 2012

ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

its not that im looking for another messaging service. i was asking if i disabled all my imessage devices if text will come in as text messages or would it still try to send as "imessage." I remember when i would try to imessage someone, if there phone was off it would continue to try to send it via imessage and then maybe an hour later it would finally send as text. i was trying to figure out a way to get a message delivered to me directly as text from others instead of the phones still thinking i have imessage.

11. Jasmynp, Apr 1, 2012

Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I have the Note, I. LOVE. IT. You will too.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Shame the OP was asking for a simple question, and it gets hijacked by just a bunch of fanboys and haters trying to turn this into another iOS vs Android flame war. I just checked out a white Galaxy Note (unlocked version) yesterday and think it is pretty awesome. If you look at it more of a mini-tablet instead of a giant phone, then it can be. But some want a smaller phone + bigger tablet combo which is fine as well. No right or wrong. Only preferences.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Guys, lets stay on topic. The OP is not asking about why Android is fragmented or how iOS is better but rather iMessage. Lets not get into another iOS vs. Android debate

Edit:
    Just to be clear, I removed the off topic posts, while trying to preserve the spirit of the thread.

14. mbell1975, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I just returned my Note a few hours ago actually. Had it for 3 days, that was enough. Battery life is awful if you are on LTE, the screen is far too over saturated and colors are cartoonish and you have to keep the screen brightness way down to conserve power. Whats the point of having such a nice big screen when you have to keep it dim just to save battery life? :rolleyes: I'll wait for Apple to make one of these and do it right.

15. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

I agree with ya about getting off point. I too have a Samsung Note and others in my home have iPhones. Does iMessage work between android and iOS devices so that a texting conversation can be started on an IOS device and picked up on an Android device? I don't believe so, but someone else may have better info.

16. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

17. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

It is obvious that you did not learn how to use the settings correctly like many of us who have Notes did. I didn't learn all the ins and outs in 3 days either. A month into it and I'm still learning, and the more i learn, the better it gets. And the Note gets about 90% of the battery life of the iPhone, so carry a spare and no worries.
    Cartoonish photos? C'mon now. Thats funny.

18. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Nope, I did, still sucked. Skin tones are orange, reds are far too bright (look at the main Netflix page when you launch it) and blues are off. It looks like a cartoon it's so bad. I deleted most the bloatware, ran all settings as should be to save battery and was running Go Launcher which is lighter than TW and still got terrible battery life. 2hrs 45mins of use on my Note and 6hrs 40mins on my iPhone are nowhere near 90%. You only get decent battery life because you are NOT on LTE!

19. goMac macrumors 603

iMessage does not work on Android devices at all. It's based on Apple's push notification service.

So to answer the OP's question, if you switch away from iOS, you're out of luck.

20. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Your best option is to stick with the iPhone, and forget about the note! :cool:

21. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

Odd. I'm getting between 8-9 hours of non-cartoon looking use, mix of WiFi and LTE. Not 4G. LTE.

You're really taking this whole Android/IOS thing very personally.

22. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

You are getting 9 hours of actual use or just 9 hours before the battery dies? Proof please. Would love to see a screen shot showing that.

23. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think one way to find out is to just... do it and see.

Worst case scenario, I think you can make a Google Voice number (it's free) and tell your friends to send texts to Google Voice from now on instead. You can route Google Voice texts to any phone, so you should be able to get everything back in a jiffy.

24. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

Proof?

Dude. Seriously. They are phones. That's all. Just phones. Nothing earth shattering. They won't bring world peace, cure cancer or make you into something you're not.

They're just phones.

I don't give a rip what people choose to use or buy, so following that line of thinking, I'm not going to waste "n" minutes of my life taking a screenshot OF A MOBILE PHONE SCREEN to validate/invalidate whatever it is you believe, which seems to be a moving target in the first place. I'm quite comfortable laying in bed with my wife, and getting up, walking into the kitchen and dinking with my phone to satisfy someones curiosity is really, really low on my list of priorities. Let alone someone on the Internet. Heck, I wouldn't even do that for a direct relative.

I just don't care.

I do have to say, though, that today went down as one of the more entertaining days on MacRumors. Even more so than the yellow tint/light bleed madness that has followed the last two iPad launches.

25. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Figured you were blowing smoke, no need to lie in here. 8-9 hours with a 5.3 inch screen device on LTE? LMAO, nice try kid.