Buying A Refurbished AirPort Extreme Base Station From The Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JWSandi, Apr 18, 2012.

1. JWSandi macrumors regular

These little guys are quite pricy NIB, so I was looking at the refubs on the Apple Store, has anyone purchased one of these.

If so was it worth it?

Any problems?

Should I just pony up the extra $50 and by new?

:confused:

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i wouldn't hesitate buying an apple refurb, you get support and warranty etc etc, pretty much as good as new.

3. JWSandi thread starter macrumors regular

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My first gen 802.11n Airport Extreme refurb worked perfectly till the day I sold it and upgraded to the current model. I figure it's still working, since I haven't heard back from the buyer.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can buy all Apple refurbs with total confidence...Its a great way to save money too. Many here have bought Macs and saved a little cash too. They are tested, warrantied as are all the peripherals. You will be fine.

6. yinz macrumors 6502a

Recently I had this debate as well, but when I realized that the education pricing works for the Airport Extreme Base Station, I just got a new one. I have been waiting around for about a month for the refurbished store to have the Airport Extreme in my area, but there are still no units available right now.

I found that the refurbished model saved roughly $10 over the education pricing, but the refurbished was a 2009 model? I realized the difference isn't great between the 2009 and the 2011, but hey, it was $10 for a new unit, so I decided to not wait to for the refurbished model and just got the new one.

I hear the 2011 model has improved signal strength in the 2.4 GHz band because of the new positioning of the antenna. I could be wrong, but what my point is: if $10 isn't an issue, and you like new things, you might consider my route. If not, I'm sure the refurbished model works just as fine.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They have the current model in the refurb section of their web store.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A

8. yinz macrumors 6502a

Ah, I forgot to mention, I'm not in North America. Anyway, my AE came today! I set it up and it's working great! The videos do load a lot faster! Streaming from the internet, to the phone and back to the Apple TV still stutters a bit, but who can blame it! Regularly streaming and Airplaying videos from the iDevices are a lot faster! I'm so glad I got it!