Buying a refurbished i5 15"... should i wait for the price to come down?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 14&t, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 14&t macrumors newbie

i am planning to buy a REFURBISHED macbook for use as an architect/industrial designer to save a little money.

right now a refurbished base (2.4GHZ) 15" i5 is for sale at $1529... does anyone have any idea how long it will be before that price comes down? how much lower do you think it will go?

am i right in going for the 2.4 i5 over the 2.66 core 2 duo?

thanks for your help!

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

It won't go down anymore than that I will tell you that.

Apple usually keeps it at that set price until they sell out. By then, they will have come out with a new generation and the current generation will be put at that price range.

I personally think you should go with the current refurbs. Best time to buy is when you need a laptop. If you are worried about price there are PC's but they generally suck after you have used a Mac.

3. Meever macrumors 6502a

It will drop in price only after another refresh.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yes, definitely go for the 2.4 i5, many reports say the 2.4 i5 is 25% faster than the 2.8 core2duo

5. Sequin macrumors regular

Does anyone know if they will ever add a hi-res glossy 15" one? I feel like I check every day and they only have anti-glare. :mad:

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Trust me, you want the antiglare. Some members here might recognize me as the guy who thinks glossy > antiglare but after seeing the antiglare at a store today (I was adding myself to the iPhone 4 priority list), I'm sold on the antiglare. No more reflections at all. Pure bliss.

7. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I was biased against glossy screens in the beginning when they introduced them in 2008 and they slowly grew on me once I purchased them.. my older PowerBook G4 and early MacBook Pro era matte anti-glare displays were all replaced with glossy screened unibodies and I've been completely fine with them. I just perceive the glass to be a little more durable (I don't dread a stranger poking the screen like matte ones).

If anything, you should get an i5 over a Core 2 Duo.

8. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

i got my i5 2.4ghz mbp for $1400 brand new sealed on ebay a couple weeks ago. I decided to get the i5 over the core 2 duo because i felt i was cheating myself by paying so much for older generation tech. I also got a deal on the i5 so I ain't complaining. :)

9. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I love the glossy screen. Doesn't everyone love checking themselves out on the mirror like screen?

10. cryer macrumors regular

So you were advocating glossy > antiglare on this forum to the point where people might remember you for this but you never even saw antiglare in person?

11. Sequin macrumors regular

Oh no I definitely want glossy. I've seen the anti-glare one a billion times and don't care for it. I never take my computer outside or anything and my current laptop is glossy and fine. Reflections are also a plus to fixing my hair in class :)

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

"brand new sealed" usually means it was stolen or purchased with stolen credit card.

13. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

And how do you know that? Please lets not go there. I placed my bid at the last minute early on a tuesday morning and I won the auction for $1400. If the auction would have ended for $1800, I guess you won't this saying this.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

read other threads and you'll see why. If you have a new MBP sealed in box which you bought for $1900, why would you sell it for $1400?

15. jamesbond05 macrumors member

jamesbond05

Its not his or my fault that the bidding ended at $1400. It was not a buy it now listing. If it was then it would be a different story. It was a 7 day auction. I think it ended at such a low price because he didn't specify that it was the new model with the i5.

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That will be the price until the next update..

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

How observant you are....