Buying a Sim-Free Iphone 4s form Apple Shops

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by bigscottd, Oct 10, 2011.

1. bigscottd macrumors newbie

This is probably the wrong place to post it but here goes,

My wife popped into the Trafford Centre, Manchester as she has been told that at the moment they will NOT be selling Sim-Free Handsets on the Friday Launch and you will only be able to get one on a contract or a upgrade.:mad:

Personally its a bit poor, but if anybody has heard different let me know.

2. Harrietb macrumors newbie

That can't be right surely?? Not everyone wants a contract!

3. Makara, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Makara macrumors newbie

From the Apple Store? Definitely not true, many people have already ordered sim-free handsets.

From O2/ Vodafone etc, yes I could see that being the case.

4. bigscottd thread starter macrumors newbie

You can buy a sim free handset from the Apple store online but if you want to go to a Apple highstreet store they will only sell them on a contract or a upgrade. I'm personally fuming I have booked a day off work and booked into a travel lodge near the Trafford store so not happy. She was told to ring them on Thursday to see if things have changed.

5. retrostate macrumors newbie

Phone them up and ask again, specifically regarding the Friday launch.

I phoned my local store (Bristol Cribbs Causeway) and was told that they will be stocking the sim free phones. If this is just for Friday or for ever i'm not sure.

6. bigscottd thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope this is the case

7. namtaffy macrumors newbie

can anyone else confirm that we will NOT be able to buy iPhone 4s sim free from uk Apple stores on launch day?

8. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Not to cause undue concern (I'm a sim free buyer...) but I did hear this rumour elsewhere, but dismissed it as ********. It's hard to see Apple effectively destroying the store launch for so many people. I was CERTAIN that they'd have warned us if this was going to be the case, but reading this thread has sparked up considerable doubt...

9. bigscottd thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats what i keep thinking, if this is the case they are stupid i was look ing to buy me and my brother one thats £1000 lost. I will call them on Thursday and see what they say.

10. namtaffy macrumors newbie

Spoke to the Cardiff Apple store this morning and they confirm they WILL be selling sim free phones on Friday

11. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Yes, and I can vouch that Exeter have said the same.

12. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

Could you imagine the riots if you told people they were only selling contract phones!

13. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Don't get confused sim free is different than contract free
    The iPhone is sold sim free anyway

The question you need to ask is can I buy it contract free!

----------

Update! Just spoke to Cardy who spoke to his source at the Apple Store and they confirm you can buy an iphone4s contract free!!!!! The staff have only just been informed themselves
    Panic over
    Chill

14. namtaffy macrumors newbie

Sim free does indeed mean contract free. If you buy an iPhone from Apple on a contract from a carrier is certainly is not sim free. My source at the Apple store told me this morning. Don't know who he was though, he just answered the phone.

15. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

No it does not! as orginaly they said you had to sign up to a carrier contract so people who were asking can i buy an iPhone sim free the answer was yes,

people need to clarify contract free as Apple are very good at evading your exact question

16. Stig1990 macrumors newbie

I also find it extremely hard to beileve that they would not sell sim free phones, if anything i would think they would only be selling sim free and not contracts yet... Like the website...

Glad to hear cardiff and exeter have said they will be, makes me feel a bit better, i will be getting mine at Cribbs causeway friday morning, good luck to everyone else getting theirs friday morning...

What sort of time is everyone else thinking of getting to their store?

17. retrostate macrumors newbie

I'll see you there, as i mentioned earlier, Cribbs are definitely selling sim-free iPhones. I'm thinking maybe 6am, not too sure though.

18. Stig1990 macrumors newbie

Awesome, im going to try and be there for 5am, hopefully there wont already be too many people there by then

19. namtaffy macrumors newbie

not trying to be argumentative but c'mon. Sim free means literally without a sim, without a contract, phone only arrange your own carrier. Has done over a decade.

I take your point though that asking apple for contract free gives them no wiggle room to evade;)

I think Apple would disagree with both our opinions though. They call them unlocked iPhones