Buying a UMBP at an apple store tomorrow. Student discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcfields, May 8, 2009.

1. mcfields macrumors newbie

How do I use the student discount in the store instead of online? Do I need to bring any ID (I'm attending the school for the first time in august, so I don't have a picture ID yet, but I have my license and an account on the college's website)? Do I get a better discount?

2. phoanglong macrumors newbie

The best way to get discount from apple as far as I know is to go to your college computer and buy it from there, you can get the best discount from there. Best of luck.

3. mcfields thread starter macrumors newbie

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Student ID is the normal way. I've been told you can get it bringing a copy of the acceptance letter or class signup confirmation page. Give your local :apple: store a call, see what they say.

5. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

its easy, i just got mine, an i forgot the papers in the car, i told the guy an he just gave it to me anyway ,,

bring your papers just in case though

6. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

What does it matter if you buy it in the store or online?!

You can upgrade the machines online too. I suggest buying online. :cool:;)

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

My daughter presented her student ID and her driver's license at the local Apple store. The store gave her the on-line student discount for a new 15" MBP.

I would simply call the store in advance and make an inquiry. Good luck and enjoy your new Mac.

8. war eagle macrumors 6502a

If you can login to anything of the schools stuff (email, webct/blackboard) they will let you do it.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I personally don't believe you qualify this early. Need a student ID and have read sometimes make you show current paid schedule.

The bottom line though is they are making a small fortune even when applying discount. Probably work if you call store manager in advance and explain situation.

Nice computer. Best wishes with it.

10. genmic macrumors regular

That's what I did, they were very relaxed about it - I don't think there's any strict corporate policy on this.

11. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I've bought two in store just by saying I went to a local college. Just bring a student ID and you shouldn't have problems.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

In both cases when I've used a student discount, they didn't ask to see any identification. I just told them I was a student and they gave me the discount no questions asked.

14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

it may be cheaper to get it on amazon when you figure tax into the equation.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Actually, the Amazon bit is a great point. Some of the best prices are from these online resellers that do NOT charge tax. The tax is a greater amount than the discount. Also, the low end MBP goes for $1650 brand new on a few sites if you are willing to wait for a $200 rebate. Still $1850, with no tax is as good a deal or better than a student discount. Then, two months down the road, you get your rebate and use it for some upgrades or software.

I always wanted to buy from Apple and did. But recently someone pointed out just how much cheaper one can buy Mac notebooks from resellers like Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection, and etc.

Probably have the itch so not going to be willing to wait. Good luck whatever you do!

16. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Can't wait a month for a free iPod to keep or sell? Don't forget that you also get the free $99 rebate on a printer.

17. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I agree. Ordering online is the best option as tax is the killer. Even if one pays for overnight shipping, it is still much cheaper to wait.