Buying a used 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blurb23, Nov 3, 2011.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

If I want to upgrade from a dumbphone (no data, just unlimited texting on a family plan) to a used iPhone 4, can I just got into an AT&T store, buy a microSIM and insert that into my phone?

Is there anything else I need to do? Will they start charging me for data even if I don't use any?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, you just need a new SIM.

You will apparently get charged for data at some point, as soon as AT&T recognizes the ID of your phone as being an iPhone they'll add the $15/mo plan to your bill. You might get by for a month or two before that happens though.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You will need a data plan if you are gonna buy a used iphone 4. So better get on it before you get it.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You can't get the SIM without the phone and they won't give you the SIM without first adding a data plan.

5. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm, I already have 1 iPhone 4 with a data plan on all... would it be possible for me to just ask them for another microSIM for it and then place that one into the other 4 I'll be buying?

Because, honestly, AT&Ts data rates and speeds are pathetic. But moreso, this phone literally won't be using any data at all; it's for someone who will be at home 99% of the time, using wifi, and the only reason they really want it is because it'll tie in nicely with a new iPad 2 with iOS5.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Doesn't matter if you use data.

Once you put microsim into iPhone 4 in a line that doesn't have data, AT&T will automatically add at least a $15 data/200mb to your account.

You can threaten to walk to Verizon or sprint. Oh wait, they won't activate any smartphones without the required data plans either.

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

No.

The sim they would give you, provided you could convince them to do it in the first place, will contain the account information for your iPhone and therefore be useless to the other phone.

If the other person is going to be home 99% of the time why not just use the other iPhone 4 as if it were an iPod Touch? iMessage and facetime will still work then you can use an app like Viber to do voip calls between the two iphones.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Data is a cash cow for the carriers. Even more so that AT&T (and Verizon) have eliminated unlimited data plans for new customers.

But what can you do. Gotta play by the rules.

If you don't like it you can always put the used iPhone 4 on a prepaid data plan and not use data. Just google how to do that.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

NO. They will sell you a plan which they will charge you for anyway when you stick the SIM card in the iPhone.

Because, honestly, AT&Ts data rates and speeds are pathetic. But moreso, this phone literally won't be using any data at all; it's for someone who will be at home 99% of the time, using wifi, and the only reason they really want it is because it'll tie in nicely with a new iPad 2 with iOS5.[/QUOTE]

LOL! You really do not understand how this all works.
    Maybe you can hold your right hand up and promise them you would never use any data!:rolleyes:

While we are all wishing for things, I want AT&T to give me another SIM card for the same phone number so I can keep it in my SG2 and use it when I want a change. I would never use both phones at the same time but would make a choice each morning to use either my iPhone 4S or my Galaxy S2.